OK, really confused here: citric acid

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
8:15 PM
I got some citric acid (food grade) to cook with and I have absolutely no idea what to use it with (I think I did at one point, but I have long forgotten what that was) and I see contradictory information on the label. It says "Food Grade" but on the back, it says "do not ingest". WTF? It says it can be used in canning and preserving and even in baths, but it says on the back, "do not get on skin" WTF?

20220220_112630.jpg

20220220_112702.jpg

I had a company which made marmalades, chutneys, jellies, etc. for years.
Sometimes, citric acid is added to marmalade/jam to help preserve it - I never used it , but still. You´d only need to add a little bit, but to be honest, I don´t think it makes much difference.
I suppose you could also use it in drinks. Add a tsp of bicarbonate and it will make it fizzy.

It means in unadulterated large quantities straight from the bag. You only use a very small amount in cooking.

Just like pink curing salt/Prague powder/sodium nitrite is used to cure meat products in very small amounts, but can actually kill you if ingested in a large quantity.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, I have this ingredient and was looking at it two days ago wondering why I bought it. My packet also says 'do not ingest'.
Just like pink curing salt/Prague powder/sodium nitrite is used to cure meat products in very small amounts, but can actually kill you if ingested in a large quantity.

The thing is that haven't ever had any intention of curing meat. So why did I buy it? Are there other uses?

You can use it in making sausage too.

I don't know of any other use. It's main function is to keep bad bacteria from growing and some use it to keep things like ham pinkish in the curing process.

I did find this:
Classified as a weak organic acid, citric acid is a naturally occurring preservative that can be found in citrus fruits. Produced as a result of the fermentation of sugar, it has a tart to bitter taste and is usually in powder form when sold commercially. It is used mainly as a preservative and acidulent, and it is a common food additive in a wide range of foods such as candies and soda. Other than extending shelf life by adjusting the acidity or pH of food, it can also help enhance flavours. It works especially well with other fruits, providing a fresh taste.

In modern cooking, citric acid is often used as an emulsifier to keep fats and liquids from separating. It is also a common component in spherification, where it may be used as an acid buffer.

Molecular Gastronomy Techniques That May Be Used in the Pastry Shop – Modern Pastry and Plated Dessert Techniques

This article is much more useful and suggests ways to use it with links to more:

Citric Acid Will Make Your Food Better Because Science

I have citric acid, too. It keeps my guacamole greener longer, so when I'm entertaining, I use it. I'm sure it has other uses I've never thought about.

I have pink curing salt for pork tenderloin curing. Cured pork tenderloin slices are great on eggs benedict.

I believe I used it once for making caramel sauce. It keeps the caramel sauce from hardening too fast.

Btw, forgot to add that citric acid impacts a slightly metallic taste to caramel. Personally it didn't bother me at all, but it may be a showstopper for some people.

but it says on the back, "do not get on skin" WTF?
As mentioned above in respect to the don't consume, it's an issue with the concentrated version that's in the packet. It's a concentrated acid in powdered form. Your skin contains water which when added to the powder creates a very concentrated liquid acid. Acids burn through heat as well as chemical burns.
Just 100g (pure product which is unlikely to be what's in your container) dissolved in 1 Litre of water will create a solution that has a pH of 1.6. That's exceptionally acidic and fatal if ingested. It can cause blindness, massive scarring and so on. The powder can be inhaled and dissolve in the fluid in the lungs causing permanent lung damage. The powder can burn even on contact with the skin from moisture in your skin.

Just like bleach however, in low enough concentrations it is safe to use as a disinfectant within the home, in this instance to acidify a food product to prevent bad bacteria from growing. I'm pretty certain I've used it (or lemon juice which contains it) in jam making, in fermented foods and other areas. I also use it or vinegar when dyeing cloth or wool using natural products such as avocado skins, onion skins, eucalyptus bark or leaves, beetroot, passionfruit skins.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom