Outdoor fish fries

Local time
1:55 PM
Having an outdoor fish fry is a very common event in my country. These fish fries are usually done to solicit funds for organizations, a church, or for a charitable cause, or just to celebrate an event like a birthday or an anniversary. It is a good way to get out and mingle with friends while enjoying the outdoor atmosphere. We have fish fries at our church from time to time to raise funds for different church organizations. Different kinds of entertainment also form part of the event, like singing and modelling, for instance. These events are usually well attended.

The fish is usually served along with dishes like potato salad, rice and macaroni pie, as well as vegetables. Of course, drinks also form part of the menu.

How popular is this sort of thing in your country?

This reminds me of our vacation in the beach resort last summer. There is a restaurant where we dine but some resort guests prefer to cook their own food. There was this guy who bought some big fish weighing more than 2 kilos per piece. All he did was to wrap it in foil and lit the charcoal. When I asked what the flavoring is because I saw for myself that it was just fish and no fillings nor seasoning. The guy said that fish is best when grilled plain. The flavor comes with the dip that is a mix of soy sauce, lemon and pepper.

Here is the pic of that fish -
IMG_1597 grilled fish.JPG

Wow, that is one big fish! I think a large fish grilled over charcoal would be good. One thing in this country we do is have a pig roast, where a big pit is dug, and a pig is roasted for hours. I was really disappointed one time though because I went to one that was far away, and by the time I got there, the entire pig was gone!!! all they had left were some side dishes!

Caribbean Girl, you forgot the class reunions. Many fish fries I've been invited to are for big school reunions. Sadly, I am always planning to be there but often never attend.

Outdoor fish fries are common in the Southern USA. The fried fish is usually accompanied by hush puppies and cole slaw. The fries are usually done for large groups of people,,, church gatherings, family reunions, ect. They are always a good time and usually everyone brings somekind of a side dish or adds their fish catches to the pot!

Outdoor fish fries are common in the Southern USA. The fried fish is usually accompanied by hush puppies and cole slaw. The fries are usually done for large groups of people,,, church gatherings, family reunions, ect. They are always a good time and usually everyone brings somekind of a side dish or adds their fish catches to the pot!

Oh, those hush puppies again! I had to look them up last time they were mentioned, but now I know what they are! It must be great to live in a climate where you can plan fish fries. Its hit and miss here whether the weather will (well, you know...). Fish frying isn't a celebratory tradition in the UK, although in coastal places there are certainly beach barbecues with fish. Considering we are an island surrounded by fishing waters, its surprising how little fish we consume in the UK. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom