Pan-fried Pizza?

Local time
3:55 AM
Has anyone ever tried pizza fried up in a frying pan? For the longest time I can remember one of my aunt's relatives coming over from Italy and making us all pizza this way. It was the most amazing thing I had ever tasted. Since I was young and they generally don't keep in contact with her anymore anyway, I have no idea how she made it. So I decided to start experimenting with recipes online to try to recreate it. If anyone has tried this and has good ones or just tips in general, they would be appreciated.

I have tried this type of pizza, but only as a stove-top pizza that is sold in my local grocery store, and I must say that the dough is very dry to be tasty.

However after such disastrous experience, I found the following recipe in The New York Times,

Pan-Fried Pizza
Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon coarse salt
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups tomato sauce
sliced mozzarella, to taste
Prosciutto slices and basil leaves for topping (optional).
Prosciutto slices and basil leaves for topping (optional).

Preparations:
1. Combine flour, yeast and salt in a food processor. Turn machine on and add 1/2 cup water and 2 tablespoons oil through feed tube. Process for about 30 seconds, adding more water, a tablespoon or so at a time, until mixture forms a ball and is slightly sticky to the touch. (If mixture becomes too sticky, add flour a tablespoon at a time.)
2. Put one tablespoon olive oil in a bowl and turn dough ball in it. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise until dough doubles in size, 1 to 2 hours. When dough is ready, re-form into a ball and divide it into 4 pieces; roll each piece into a ball. Place each piece on a lightly floured surface, sprinkle with a little flour, and cover with plastic wrap or a towel. Let rest until each puffs slightly, about 20 minutes.
3. When ready to cook, press one ball into about a 10-inch round. Use a little flour, if needed, to prevent sticking and a rolling pin, if desired. Film a 10-inch skillet with olive oil and turn heat to medium. When oil shimmers, put dough in pan and adjust heat so it browns evenly without burning. (If dough puffs up unevenly in spots, push bubbles down.)
4. Turn dough, then top browned side with tomato sauce, cheese, a bit of salt and pepper, and, if you like, prosciutto and/or basil leaves. If top is now heavily laden, cover pan and continue cooking, or run it under broiler, just until toppings become hot. With only a couple of toppings, just cook until bottom browns. Repeat with remaining dough; serve hot, warm or at room temperature.

I love making pizza and have never thought of trying to make it in a pan. I like deep dish pizza with a good, greasy crust every now and then (like pizza hut's crust) so I think this would satisfy that craving. Must try this out this holiday break!

Pan-fried pizza sounds AMAZINGGGGGG!! I really need to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

No I've never tried making it myself. While it does sound quite good, I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. Maybe if you are cooking for many people... but in an everyday scenario I'd just do my pizza the normal way.

I saw something similar to this on one of those traveling food shows - it was either Diners Drive In's And Dives, or the Anthony Bourdain one. There was a Native American restaurant that made something similar to this. It was kind of like a cross between a pan fried pizza and a taco. They fried the dough in a griddle, then topped it with the meats and sauces and other ingredients. It looked amazing.

The only time I've ever cooked pizza in a pan on the stove was when I was trying to reheat some slices and make them crispier.

Back
Top Bottom