Pasta HELP!

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
9:58 AM
Advice needed urgently!

I don't make fresh pasta often enough to be much good at it. I've made some dough today using the Jamie Oliver recipe - 200g 00 flour plus 2 eggs. The dough was extremely hard and difficult to knead. I added a little water which did make kneading a little easier, but it was still very hard. It's now in the fridge for a couple of hours. If it's still as unpliable when I get it out later what can I do?

Any advice would be greatly welcomed. BTW I intend to make ravioli with it.

I generally use 2 cups flour (not sifted but lightened some by scooping up into air and dropping back into container, then scooping and leveling cup) to 3 large eggs, plus a little water if needed. Not sure what that equals in grams. Pasta dough is pretty firm but will relax a little after resting. Even then, it's not like bread dough, much more firm. Make sure you let it warm up to room temperature once you take it out of the refrigerator before you try to roll it out. Are you using a pasta machine or rolling by hand? There's not much you can do once it's made, other than start over. There's a quote from his web site about working the dough "It’s quite hard work, and after a few minutes it’s easy to see why the average Italian grandmother has arms like Frank Bruno!"

The general rule is 100g flour to one egg - which is what you did. I'm puzzled. If I use a pasta machine I don't bother to knead it - repeated passing through the machine does that for you (I learned that somewhere).

1 cup of 00 flour is approx.110g - other flours can be up to 120g per cup. So @medtran49 's mix uses slightly higher egg to flour ratio.

Thank you all for your advice. I think the eggs were a little on the small side. I wasn't going to use the pasta machine as I am only making ravioli, so will be using a rolling pin instead. I have taken it out of the fridge to come up to room temp whilst I smoke some chicken thighs. Will report back later.

Thanks again @medtran49, @morning glory, @MypinchofItaly

IMG_0580a.jpg

Gave up with the rolling pin, pasta machine to the rescue! Turned out ok, ravioli stuffed with Stilton cheese.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom