Pasta Machines

Did you notice a considerable difference over store bought when you were making your own pasta?
Yes, very much. I have no problem with store bought, but home-made seems silkier.

As epicuric says - its silkier. On the other hand I've sometimes found it a bit slimy! That might just be my lack of pasta making skill.

But I was thinking about uniformly spiraled Pasta like Rotini which would require some odd motor function to not only squeeze out the pasta, but rotate the die holes as well. It would be difficult to do that by hand.

This mechanical gadget seems to do it and its not at all expensive (£22 = $29). Whether it really works very well I've no idea!

That is a cavatelli maker, not rotini. We have one and it works fine to make cavatelli.

That's the idea anyway, spiral Pasta. It is interesting, that that is all that this machine does, Cavatelli.

I watched some YouTube Videos and they demonstrate that spiral Pasta types are made by first making flat noodles and then rolling them using a metal rod. That seems to be a more time consuming and convoluted process than what I had imagined.

BTW: In the US, Fusilli is called Rotini. Real Rotini is not flat, but hollow spirals.

I think it has attachments for all sorts? Is this the same one you have?

It looks pretty similar from memory. It's up.in 1 of the high cabinets, so I can't get to it without dragging in a ladder right now. Ours cost around the same amount. Do you have a link?

Back
Top Bottom