Recipe Pastel de Guayaba y Queso Crema - Guava and Cream Cheese Pastry

blades

Local time
9:52 PM
Pasta de guayaba or guava is a favorite treat everywhere in Latin America. The guayaba is a tropical fruit about the size of an avocado but is red and sweet inside. It pairs well with cheese and Latins love to stack a slice of cream cheese on a slice of guava paste and eat it as a treat. This recipe takes that combination and bakes it into pastry that makes a super dessert. You can buy guava paste in a can or a paper package at your local latin food store or online. Here is a great way to enjoy it.

Ingredients

1 package of frozen puff pastry
1/2 of a 21 oz. can of guava paste
2/3 package of cream cheese
1 egg
sugar to finish

Instructions

Put the defrosted puff pastry doughs on a cutting board. Arrange slices of guava paste topped with slices of cream cheese along the center section of the dough. Make cuts along the outer sections of the dough and turn the dough strips over onto the center section to form a braid. Prepare an egg wash and apply it to the top of the dough. Sprinkle some sugar on top and bake in a 350F oven for about 40 minutes or until it looks like my image. Makes two pastries. Hope you like it.

pastry.jpg

Last edited:
You just made me yearn for a pastelito de guayaba. I'm going to the panadería tomorrow to get some.
If anyone out there has never tasted one, then use this recipe. They're just magic.

Pasta de guayaba or guava is a favorite treat everywhere in Latin America. The guayaba is a tropical fruit about the size of an avocado but is red and sweet inside. It pairs well with cheese and Latins love to stack a slice of cream cheese on a slice of guava paste and eat it as a treat. This recipe takes that combination and bakes it into pastry that makes a super dessert. You can buy guava paste in a can or a paper package at your local latin food store or online. Here is a great way to enjoy it.

Ingredients

1 package of frozen puff pastry
1/2 of a 21 oz. can of guava paste
2/3 package of cream cheese
1 egg
sugar to finish

Instructions

Put the defrosted puff pastry doughs on a cutting board. Arrange slices of guava paste topped with slices of cream cheese along the center section of the dough. Make cuts along the outer sections of the dough and turn the dough strips over onto the center section to form a braid. Prepare an egg wash and apply it to the top of the dough. Sprinkle some sugar on top and bake in a 350F oven for about 40 minutes or until it looks like my image. Makes two pastries. Hope you like it.

View attachment 102027

Interesting.
I love everything of this recipe, mostly the use of puff pastry (I am a huge fan and consumer of puff pastry).
I have only tasted Guava juice once, I am not so sure I can find Guava fresh fruit here or as a paste, however I want to check it in a bio food shop near home and see if I am lucky, then make your recipe.
Do you think it would be good to use a cheese like Gorgonzola?

Interesting.
I love everything of this recipe, mostly the use of puff pastry (I am a huge fan and consumer of puff pastry).
I have only tasted Guava juice once, I am not so sure I can find Guava fresh fruit here or as a paste, however I want to check it in a bio food shop near home and see if I am lucky, then make your recipe.
Do you think it would be good to use a cheese like Gorgonzola?
Honestly I've never paired guava paste with a blue cheese. I've paired it with cheddar and swiss cheese to excellent effect. But cream cheese remains supreme for me in this pastry. Obviously you know about the availability of ingredients in Italy better than I do. Latin food stores are common in the U.S. You can certainly buy guava paste online. These are the most popular ones in the U.S. and both are made and packed here.

conchita.jpg goya.jpg

You just made me yearn for a pastelito de guayaba. I'm going to the panadería tomorrow to get some.
If anyone out there has never tasted one, then use this recipe. They're just magic.
My mother used to make empanadas with this combination She would put the cream cheese in the dough, cut it into circles and fold the circles in half over the pasta de guayaba.

Very pretty pastry! I've not seen guava paste here in the UK but we do have fresh guavas sometimes.
The fruit is also sold in cans as shells (cascos de guayaba) and that would work just as well. I don't see why you couldn't use fresh fruit. I've never seen it done. Give it a shot.

Honestly I've never paired guava paste with a blue cheese. I've paired it with cheddar and swiss cheese to excellent effect. But cream cheese remains supreme for me in this pastry. Obviously you know about the availability of ingredients in Italy better than I do. Latin food stores are common in the U.S. You can certainly buy guava paste online. These are the most popular ones in the U.S. and both are made and packed here.

View attachment 102092 View attachment 102093

I was thinking of a sweet Gorgonzola instead of a spicy one but it was just an off thought. Probably something like Ricotta would work better, I think. I may try both versions. But first I have to find the raw material, Guava paste.
Thanks for the tips in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom