Pay restaurant bill via QR code

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
3:07 AM
One of the things that came out of covid is that most sit-down restaurants here now give you the option of paying by scanning a QR code with your phone and paying that way - no muss, no fuss, no waiting an age for waitstaff to go run your card and eventually return it.

How do you all feel about the QR code payment option? Do you like to take advantage of it? Does it annoy you, or maybe it doesn’t even apply in your area? Let us know!

One of the things that came out of covid is that most sit-down restaurants here now give you the option of paying by scanning a QR code with your phone and paying that way - no muss, no fuss, no waiting an age for waitstaff to go run your card and eventually return it.

How do you all feel about the QR code payment option? Do you like to take advantage of it? Does it annoy you, or maybe it doesn’t even apply in your area? Let us know!

I saw QR codes a lot for menus during covid. My favorite TexMex restaurant at Houston Intercontinental Airport has a QR menu/ordering/payment system. It NEVER works. I sit at the bar since I'm there alone, and just order from the bartender.

CD

I've not used it in restaurants but our supermarkets uses it to scan your rewards card and pay the bill in one (but as 2 steps, scan the qr code and then select the card you want to pay with). What I don't like is that if it errors, you can't get it back and can't access your payment card AND the cashier seems to be able to override you. So last time "I" paid, there was an error and the cashier processed our 10% off for that month without asking us (we were not going to use it because it was a weekly small shop not a monthly large shop, so only $15 off, not the normal $50) and I didn't get to choose or confirm payment with my card. I've since raised the latter with customer services. No one should be able to override my payment choice period. Thankfully I only have 1 card on the system but that isn't the case for my OH who has a work's credit card on his phone as well.

I've not used it in restaurants but our supermarkets uses it to scan your rewards card and pay the bill in one (but as 2 steps, scan the qr code and then select the card you want to pay with). What I don't like is that if it errors, you can't get it back and can't access your payment card AND the cashier seems to be able to override you. So last time "I" paid, there was an error and the cashier processed our 10% off for that month without asking us (we were not going to use it because it was a weekly small shop not a monthly large shop, so only $15 off, not the normal $50) and I didn't get to choose or confirm payment with my card. I've since raised the latter with customer services. No one should be able to override my payment choice period. Thankfully I only have 1 card on the system but that isn't the case for my OH who has a work's credit card on his phone as well.

I don't have any kind of banking or credit card apps on my phone -- or my MacBook Pro. Basically, anything that leaves my house on a regular basis.

CD

I've used it on occasion. I do like the fact that the server doesn't run off with my card. What I don't like is that in a couple of places I was going to use a gift card (we got them for Christmas) and they wouldn't work with the QR code so I was messing with it for no reason. I also don't like the fact that a couple of times I have paid and then had the server run over as we were getting up to go to ask if we had used the QRC. Okay, we are older, I have a bad knee and to say that I am not quick on my feet is a vast understatement, plus I walk with a noticeable limp. Craig is not exactly a Speedy Gonzalez either. We are very obviously not dine and dashers, besides the fact that 1 of the places we frequent fairly often so while they may not know our names they know our faces. And greet us with welcome back each time.

I don't have any kind of banking or credit card apps on my phone -- or my MacBook Pro. Basically, anything that leaves my house on a regular basis.

CD
Mine arrived due to necessity. As in not enough fuel to get home and found I didn't have my cards on me. Me forgetting my wallet is a decades old problem. I've only ever actually lost it once (but I also found it, it was on the private land side of our gate in the UK, so only us, 1 neighbour and the postman would ever have seen it, it just fell out of the car when I opened the door).

But I also run software on all of our devices that allows us to lock any app of choice so that when we are not on our home network it needs a finger print to open the app. Anything involving finances, codes, passwords and the likes is locked, including email and text messages (given so many confirmation codes come via them). Plus we manually enable and disable the NFC that most cards services use.

We're more likely to lock ourselves out than give access to someone else. So that app has a fundamental design flaw. But we will also know when the cashier has overruled it and I suspect that they are only allowed to do it in certain circumstances. I just don't like the fact that they can. It would be better if they're was a way of them presenting the QR code again so the sequence can be redone without all of the shopping being rescanned!

I also don't like the fact that a couple of times I have paid and then had the server run over as we were getting up to go to ask if we had used the QRC.
I actually have the opposite happen - I want to make sure the waitstaff know I paid, so on the way out the door, I’ll say, “Hey, I paid on my phone,” and I’ll get some kind of acknowledgment from them, something like, “Thanks, I see it on my terminal, bye!”

A couple of times it’s been slightly unpleasant, though, with a tone of voice that was more like, “Duh, you do know it flashes up on the terminal as soon as you pay, right?” - mostly it’s been positive, though.

I saw QR codes a lot for menus during covid. My favorite TexMex restaurant at Houston Intercontinental Airport has a QR menu/ordering/payment system. It NEVER works. I sit at the bar since I'm there alone, and just order from the bartender.
Now that’s a different subject, and one I’m exactly opposite about - while I love paying on my phone by scanning a QR code, I hate reading a menu by scanning a QR code, and you’re right, it’s hit-or-miss as to whether it’ll work.

Paying, though…love it!

Me forgetting my wallet is a decades old problem.
…and that’s a third thing: getting Wallet on my iPhone and then having people around here painfully, slowly accept ApplePay was a godsend, because I don’t know how many times I’d gone somewhere in the past, filled a shopping card with $75 in groceries, get them scanned and bagged, and then realize I’d left my wallet at home, no way to pay.

I don't have the facility on my handphone as yet. I suppose that I will get it if I need it.

My wife uses it for a number of purchases around town. The option appears to be available in most outlets even though we live in the back of beyond.

…and that’s a third thing: getting Wallet on my iPhone and then having people around here painfully, slowly accept ApplePay was a godsend, because I don’t know how many times I’d gone somewhere in the past, filled a shopping card with $75 in groceries, get them scanned and bagged, and then realize I’d left my wallet at home, no way to pay.

I can't remember the last time I left my wallet at home. It's been years. I do forget my phone from time to time.

I hate when I go to a drive-thru and the person at the window asks if I am paying with my phone. They sometimes look disappointed when I say, No." I guess I'm making them swipe my credit card. That's a lot of work. :rolleyes:

CD

I can't remember the last time I left my wallet at home.

I think I was in, or just out of, my teens.

It’s been probably two weeks ago for me.

It used to happen frequently enough that my local Kroger would let me wheel my full cart back into the dairy area, behind the milk, where they load the shelves from the rear, because it was refrigerated and I’d have cheese and milk in my cart. Then I’d drive home, get my wallet, drive back, and pay - they were able to save off my grocery purchases on the register and call it back up.

Some restaurants around here have a terminal on the table. You can order additional food without waiting for a server. You can also pay your bill (insert card) and the terminal prints out your receipt for you. Haven't seen the QR code thing yet.

Some restaurants around here have a terminal on the table. You can order additional food without waiting for a server. You can also pay your bill (insert card) and the terminal prints out your receipt for you. Haven't seen the QR code thing yet.
I’d love that.

Back
Top Bottom