Paying special attention to nutrients

I love almond milk....one thing that puzzles me though is why its so low in calories when nuts are so high in calories!

Great stuff. Started using it on breakfast cereal a few months ago, can't remember why but now prefer it. One day, when short of cows milk I substituted almond milk in a bread dough mix. The result was outstanding, the loaf was softer and moister and stayed fresh for days longer than usual. I no longer use cows milk in bread making at all. Occasionally use hazelnut milk for multi grain or wholemeal doughs - not quite so low in calories but the nuttyness really works.

That's easy. Just look at the percentage of almonds in it! Alpro original is 3% almonds! That's why some people make their own but they then miss out on the added nutrients because all but the organic stuff is fortified, which is what I rely on and actually had to stop having the organic stuff as a result.

So is the conclusion that Alpro is good or bad? I use unsweetened Alpro because it is readily available. Do you recommend an alternative? Have read your post about osteoporosis and it seems that almond milk played a big part in your recovery.

So is the conclusion that Alpro is good or bad? I use unsweetened Alpro because it is readily available. Do you recommend an alternative? Have read your post about osteoporosis and it seems that almond milk played a big part in your recovery.
I use Almond Breeze because I prefer the taste but I buy Alpro otherwise. I think @SatNavSaysStraightOn is saying that using Alpro (or Almond Breeze?) is better because its fortified.

I use Almond Breeze because I prefer the taste but I buy Alpro otherwise. I think @SatNavSaysStraightOn is saying that using Alpro (or Almond Breeze?) is better because its fortified.
Nope, it is the organic of almond breeze that needs avoiding. If you read the labels you will see the Calcium content. The organic has none because it has not been fortified.

When eating or preparing your meals, whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner, do you pay special attention to the nutrients contained in what you are eating? Once before I never did this, but I believe it is a good habit to adopt as it is always good to eat a balanced meal. Most of the time we like to eat what appeals to the taste or what we have grown accustomed to eating over the years.

However, I have also found that when my body needs a certain type of food, like fruit, for instance, I tend to crave this. It seems that the body has an in-built mechanism letting us know when we should be eating certain foods.

You are correct there when the body needs something it sends a signal to the brain saying I need this Badly. It isn't always correct anymore since our diets have changed so much over the years. for instance if your body needs salt and the best source of salt that your brain knows of is Potato chips that is what you will crave. I know if I haven't had enough veggies lately and my body is trying to tell me I need them, (fresh not frozen or canned) I crave Asian food such as stir fry, egg foo young, and fried rice. all loaded with veggies!

Back
Top Bottom