Pestle and Mortar

Do you use or have you used a Pestle and Mortar

• Total voters
It works either way. I found a mortar and pestle, 7" granite, from Cole & Mason, an outfit headquartered in the UK with a US sales office in Irvine, California. Unless somebody in the forum says "Oh gosh no, don't do it.", that's my buy.

Too late now. I just ordered the 7" black granite mortar and pestle from Cole & Mason. :woot:

Thanks for advising that there was already a thread on this topic. I don't know why it didn't show up when I searched. I can readily understand why folks from the Med would have and use Mortar and Pestles. I've done some research now and think I've spotted a nice 7" granite mortar and pestle from a company called Cole & Mason. It has some superb reviews.

It's amazing. There are granite, wood, marble, stainless steel and even glass mortar and pestles and in sizes that would barely hold 1/2 cup.

I figure that what I buy should be heavy, rough on the inside and the grinding end of the pestle. And it should be big enough to allow all manner of things to be placed in it for grinding and mashing up. It should also be easy to clean.

@flyinglentris

You are welcome .. I had participated on theme in @The Late Night Gourmet thread, and I have photographic memory .. I am in the Tourism Business, so details are quintessential ..

I am one of the few Spanish speakers here as well, and if you look at the Post of @The Late Night Gourmet, he is discussing a "Molcajete", an Aztec Stone Mortar with a pestle .. ( Pronounced: Mul Ka Hei Tei ) ..

Good luck with your new mortar and pestle ..

Our pok-pok on the floor where it is normally used.

Pok-Pok F s.jpg

I have a white marble Carrara mortar that was given to me a while ago .. I used it especially for the pesto that I prefer to prepare myself at home, but I admit that lately, due to lack of time or mostly desire, I use the mixer..with some trick as the pesto (whatever it is) made with the mixer needs, but sometimes definitely more convenient. On the other hand, when I have to make walnuts pesto, I use the mortar only to crush them and then a ride into the mixer ... so unhappy neither one nor the other.

Last edited:
@MypinchofItaly

I personally find it more enjoyable to prepare a home made pesto from fresh Genovese Basil than to use a blender or food processor .. I prefer my Pesto and Romesco on thick side and find that the blender thins the sauces ..

Have a lovely evening ..

@MypinchofItaly

I personally find it more enjoyable to prepare a home made pesto from fresh Genovese Basil than to use a blender or food processor .. I prefer my Pesto and Romesco on thick side and find that the blender thins the sauces ..

Have a lovely evening ..

@Francesca yes it's true, with the mortar is another pesto :thumbsup:... I've become a little lazy lately and so my beautiful mortar is in a drawer of the kitchen ..

Last edited:
I use mine to crush peanuts for my "cod loin on crushed peanut" dish. It's granite and heavy bought in Dunelm. I read elsewhere that crushing rice is a good way to clean it. Maybe there is an idea for another dish in there.

Back
Top Bottom