Pet Peeves

Yes - but much to my annoyance is seems to be perfectly acceptable in certain circles for a husband to refer to his wife as 'the wife', thereby objectifying her. The reverse rarely happens and wouldn't be seen as 'a norm'. It also annoys me when women refer to their husband as 'hubby' - if that is OK, should it be OK for men to refer to there wives as 'wifey'? I don't care what spouses call each other in private - I'm talking here about in public (including social media).
DITTO DITTO DITTO
A MAJOR pet peeve. I think I actually called out some of the member for referring to their wives as "The Wife".
In private I call George Husband and he calls me Wife. If he ever referred to me as The Wife - well, I really do not want to go there.

Yes - but much to my annoyance is seems to be perfectly acceptable in certain circles for a husband to refer to his wife as 'the wife', thereby objectifying her. The reverse rarely happens and wouldn't be seen as 'a norm'. It also annoys me when women refer to their husband as 'hubby' - if that is OK, should it be OK for men to refer to there wives as 'wifey'? I don't care what spouses call each other in private - I'm talking here about in public (including social media).
Guilty of calling my husband hubby in the forum. Elsewhere, I would never. But he wouldn't like it if I used his real name here, so it's just a shortcut, especially when I'm typing on my phone.

Guilty of calling my husband hubby in the forum.
I have no problem with what I’m called. MrsT calls me hubby, hubs, the hubs, the hubby, the husband, my husband, and a few other things I can’t print here, and I use the reciprocal names for her (though I don’t call her wifey nearly as much as she calls me hubby).

Kitchen pet peeve - clutter, not enough storage, lack of function. My kitchen is a reasonable size, a good many cabinets and one generous expanse of countertop space. The problem is function. The prep area is not near the cook area. The house was built in the 70's. The refrigerator space will only accommodate a 33" fridge. I would love a 36". Layout and function are the problems I have. I have been looking at cabinet insert to help with organization.
Language - Irregardless NOT a word
The Covid - as in my brother has the covid. Covid/ Covid 19 is a proper name. Would you call your sister Mary the Mary?

Donald T calls himself, "The Donald."

CD

But, you have major issues with the whole concept of marriage. You've made that abundantly clear. Some people, particularly in the Harley Davidson community, refer to their spouses/partners as "my old man," and "my old lady,"

CD

People who refer to themselves in the 3rd person are very strange.
My neighbor does that. It’s annoying. :laugh:

Continuing the nomenclature theme, I do get the heebie-jeebies a little when parental couples refer to themselves as Mom/Mommy and Dad/Daddy. I get that it springs from not confusing toddlers as they’re learning to speak, but it still creeps me out.

My maternal grandparents did it, my in-laws did it, my brother did it (and still does when he talks about her, even though they’ve been divorced for years), and I think the Reagans famously did it, and was considered somewhat endearing, but it’s always a little unsettling to me.

My neighbor does that. It’s annoying. :laugh:

Continuing the nomenclature theme, I do get the heebie-jeebies a little when parental couples refer to themselves as Mom/Mommy and Dad/Daddy. I get that it springs from not confusing toddlers as they’re learning to speak, but it still creeps me out.

My maternal grandparents did it, my in-laws did it, my brother did it (and still does when he talks about her, even though they’ve been divorced for years), and I think the Reagans famously did it, and was considered somewhat endearing, but it’s always a little unsettling to me.

Mike Pence famously refers to his wife as "Mother." That's creepy. A little Oedipus Complex, perhaps?

CD

Last edited:
Continuing the nomenclature theme, I do get the heebie-jeebies a little when parental couples refer to themselves as Mom/Mommy and Dad/Daddy.
I have referred to my husband as "dad" before when speaking to the kids instead of saying "your dad", but never have I ever addressed him as "dad" or referred to him as that to anyone else.

But, you have major issues with the whole concept of marriage. You've made that abundantly clear. Some people, particularly in the Harley Davidson community, refer to their spouses/partners as "my old man," and "my old lady,"

My views about this are not connected with my anti marriage views! Its to do with the use of language in relation to objectification, sexism and infantalising. Your example is slightly less problematic although its interesting the use of 'lady' rather than 'woman'. The issue I'm talking about is as much about linguistics as it is about culture and sexist attitudes. Sexist language pervades all aspects of our cultures - its not to do with marriage in particular.

Use of the word 'lady' is supposed to denote respect. In fact its meaning denotes 'well behaved' and even 'demure and moral'. The word 'gentleman' is not so often used. There is an article here which expands on this: Let’s talk about the word “lady”.

And if anyone says anything about this being 'political correctness gone mad' then that will really get me peeved!

My views about this are not connected with my anti marriage views! Its to do with the use of language in relation to objectification, sexism and infantalising. Your example is slightly less problematic although its interesting the use of 'lady' rather than 'woman'. The issue I'm talking about is as much about linguistics as it is about culture and sexist attitudes. Sexist language pervades all aspects of our cultures - its not to do with marriage in particular.

Use of the word 'lady' is supposed to denote respect. In fact its meaning denotes 'well behaved' and even 'demure and moral'. The word 'gentleman' is not so often used. There is an article here which expands on this: Let’s talk about the word “lady”.

And if anyone says anything about this being 'political correctness gone mad' then that will really get me peeved!
Because I had to write reports when completing business evaluations, I'm ultra careful. I think in terms of male and female for the most part. It's unacceptable to write woman, lady, gentlemen, etc. in a report.

Because I had to write reports when completing business evaluations, I'm ultra careful. I think in terms of male and female for the most part. It's unacceptable to write woman, lady, gentlemen, etc. in a report.

That is actually PC. Male and female became big in the PC eighties, and stuck in the business world. Saying "male and female" instead of "man and woman" sounds like you are talking about pets or wildlife. My mother is a woman. I wouldn't think of referring to her as a "female." My dog is a male.

BTW, I use the word "gentleman/gentlemen" regularly. I never considered the term "lady/ladies" to be disrespectful. Looks like I'm all wrong again. :facepalm:

CD

Just curious, is it okay if I hold a door open for a lady... um, woman... um, female? Would that be sexist? :scratchhead:

CD

That is actually PC. Male and female became big in the PC eighties, and stuck in the business world. Saying "male and female" instead of "man and woman" sounds like you are talking about pets or wildlife. My mother is a woman. I wouldn't think of referring to her as a "female." My dog is a male.

BTW, I use the word "gentleman/gentlemen" regularly. I never considered the term "lady/ladies" to be disrespectful. Looks like I'm all wrong again. :facepalm:

CD
I posted that I write that way (and I think that way when writing a report, obviously). I really don't talk much about other people anymore because I don't go anywhere, but I think I might have said, "That person over there" or "those people over there", something like that. That's pretty safe. Actually, there have been times on reports where I wasn't able to tell the gender of the person from their appearance, but if they were wearing a name tag I could sometimes tell what their pronoun preference was (Victoria would likely prefer being referred to as "she"). At any rate, the clients wanted us to be completely generic, and refrain from descriptors such as race or build as well.

Back
Top Bottom