Recipe Pheasant breast on a pillow.

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
8:02 PM
This is one of my creation (maybe someone has done it before me ?) so the quantities are up to the number of plates you require.
Day before Prep.
Take the breasts off the pheasant ( or any game bird ) place breasts in a dish and add a splash of port, cover and place in the fridge.
Finely slice an onion and fennel bulb, put a little nut of butter in a pan, add the fennel and onion, cartouche and lid, cook on very low heat for a few hous till you get a nice marmalade. Place in covered bowl in the fridge
Place pheasant carcass in a pot cover with a good red wine and simmer till meat is tender, remove carcass strip and shred the meat, Mix meat into marmalade cover and return to the fridge
Pass and then reduce stock till the taste is strong. Put in the Fridge.
Make some crepes, cover and place in the fridge.

Next day
4 hours before service, take everything out of the fridge.
1 hour before service. Take a crepe and put a blob of onion, fennel meat mixture in the center and form a fat pillow. Keep with the seams down.
30 mins before service, place some butter and oil in a frying pan, heat till foaming, place pillow in the pan seam side down, fry till crisp the turn the heat down so it heats through. The top should remain tender.
Heat stock add a little redcurrant jelly then buerre monte.
Fry the breasts
Take out pillow, dry on kitchen towel, place in the center of a bowl.
Take out breast a cut lengthwise but leave the tip whole so it will fan.
Fan breast and place on the pillow, run the sauce around the edges of the plate not over the dish
Season to your taste.
Serve with what you like.

Sounds delicious - I love pheasant and I've certainly not come across a recipe like this before.

Shame you have no photo to go with the recipe - you can always add one next time you cook it. Its not game season yet so I can't try it but I've bookmarked it.

Back
Top Bottom