Pigs in a blanket

Jessi

Veteran
Local time
3:28 PM
So I was having an interesting conversation a while back and thought I would bring it to you guys.

How do you make your pigs in a blanket (and if you don't cook them yourself, how are they usually served to you)?

Specifically, is the coating a crescent roll or a biscuit? Are they bite size or the size of half a hot dog, etc? And do they use hot dogs or sausages?

Pigs in a blanket for me are usually sausages because they taste better wrapped in a flaky biscuit! But for parties I will use mini hot dogs wrapped in batter that I prepare myself. They are great after school snack, party treat, or anytime snack.

I make a couple of different kinds. Sometimes it is just a hot dog (full size) wrapped in a canned biscuit. Other times I make them with "little smokies" and tear a flaky layer biscuit apart and wrap them in it. I have also made them with fully cooked link sausages and wrapped those in biscuits or crescent rolls.

Pigs in a blanket for my family are regular size hotdogs wrapped in a slice of cheese and a canned biscuit. I've eaten some where lil
smokies are used and or other sausages and did not like the taste at all.

Pigs in a blanket for me are usually sausages because they taste better wrapped in a flaky biscuit! But for parties I will use mini hot dogs wrapped in batter that I prepare myself. They are great after school snack, party treat, or anytime snack.

Sausage wrapped in flaky pastry- sausage roll.

For me it's a breakfast hotdog. It's usually wrapped in canned biscuit batter, cooked in the stove, and then has a light brush of butter coated onto the top. It sounds weird but I like to serve it with scrambled eggs that have ketchup for zest.

I usually serve mine wrapped in bacon and battered. I fry the bacon first and I try to boil the sausages first as well if I can and sometimes I even pa fry it just to be sure it has some color before it's battered. When you batter it though I think it's much closer to being a corndog than pigs in a blanket but I personally prefer it that way.

So I was having an interesting conversation a while back and thought I would bring it to you guys.

How do you make your pigs in a blanket (and if you don't cook them yourself, how are they usually served to you)?

Specifically, is the coating a crescent roll or a biscuit? Are they bite size or the size of half a hot dog, etc? And do they use hot dogs or sausages?

I, personally, love pigs in blankets! They are possibly my favourite appetizer!
What I tend to do is to make my own dough for the actual blankets. I use about 2 1/2 cups of flour, some margarine, a pinch of salt and some teaspoons of cold water, then I chill it for about half an hour. This usually gets me quite a flaky and perfect dough, just right for the blankets...
And as for the "pigs", I either buy "mini wieners" or I just cut kosher sausages into three parts, and there you go! Ready to be baked!
I hope this helps! And thanks for the reminder about this wonderful appetizer! I'm definitely going to intersperse "pigs in blankets" into my Christmas recipes and dishes this year! :-D

Funny that you posted this, as the wife and I were just thinking about making it. I haven't had them in a few years. My mom always used sliced bread, Velveeta and regular-sized hot dogs. The wife likes them in a crescent roll. I would like to try them with tube biscuits. I would like to try it with some extra flavorings added in. Anyone have any good recipes?

The way I know of them is Cresent rolls that are wrapped around mini sausages with cheese on top. I used to eat them all the time when I was pregnant with my daughter and now I can't stand them. The version wrapped in bacon on top of mashed potatoes and gravy sounds real good though.

Clearly pigs in blankets are entirely different things depending which side of the Atlantic you are on. Here in the UK it is a traditional British sausage wrapped in streaky bacon and oven baked until the bacon is crispy. Any form of sausage wrapped in pastry is known as a sausage roll.

I make a couple of different kinds. Sometimes it is just a hot dog (full size) wrapped in a canned biscuit. Other times I make them with "little smokies" and tear a flaky layer biscuit apart and wrap them in it. I have also made them with fully cooked link sausages and wrapped those in biscuits or crescent rolls.

What is a canned biscuit?

What is a canned biscuit?
Biscuits in a tin?
Picture-9.png

Back
Top Bottom