Pills ?

sidevalve

Guru
Local time
5:17 PM
As a bit of an old time science fiction buff I remember the old movies where the daily diet had been reduced to a pill or a cup of ???? Thing I was wondering is - would anyone really accept it ? I mean ok if stuck on a spaceship for months maybe but to give up food - real food, the tastes the smells even just the pleasure of eating. Not for me no matter how efficient or time saving but does anybody here even know anyone that would or is this just another idea that the forecasters [AKA the people in white coats] got wrong ? [I hope !!]

And who/what's keeping food pills out of the market?

And who/what's keeping food pills out of the market?
Well, nobody, I suppose. Unless its the food industry as a whole. People aren't quite ready for the complete pill. A smoothie is marketed as 'healthy' and people make it themselves so they feel virtuous.

I'd have thought one of the biggest issue with complete food pills is lack of fibre. The gut would become well... you know what I mean. Also, they would need to 'inflate' in the stomach to stop hunger pains.

Well, nobody, I suppose. Unless its the food industry as a whole. People aren't quite ready for the complete pill. A smoothie is marketed as 'healthy' and people make it themselves so they feel virtuous.

I'd have thought one of the biggest issue with complete food pills is lack of fibre. The gut would become well... you know what I mean. Also, they would need to 'inflate' in the stomach to stop hunger pains.
You are partially right.
Given enough time, the body loses hunger pains. It actually takes longer to get them back than it takes to lose them.
That used to frustrate my new husband. Well when he was new. We went through a lot the first year. He would ask "are you hungry". I would answer no but I will eat. I think it was 4 or 5 years before I felt a hunger pain.

As a bit of an old time science fiction buff I remember the old movies where the daily diet had been reduced to a pill or a cup of ???? Thing I was wondering is - would anyone really accept it ? I mean ok if stuck on a spaceship for months maybe but to give up food - real food, the tastes the smells even just the pleasure of eating. Not for me no matter how efficient or time saving but does anybody here even know anyone that would or is this just another idea that the forecasters [AKA the people in white coats] got wrong ? [I hope !!]
The idea is a lot older than that.

Back
Top Bottom