Plantains

My wife came back from her sisters' today with this:
Plantain shrub.jpg

I hope so. The plants grow to about 3mts and then produce a "hand" of plantains. Some of them weigh between 50-70 kgs.

We had a banana tree outside of my bedroom window in Port Arthur, TX. It died back every winter. I would cut it down to the ground mid winter, and it would grow back every spring/summer. It would start to bear fruit, but never reach maturity before the the weight of the fruit would break the stalk it was hanging on. We never got anything edible from it. But, it looked nice.

My parents had a banana tree in their yard in Puerto Rico. It did get edible fruit on it once a year. They had two big mango trees, too. OMG those mangos were good ripened on the tree, picked and eaten. There was some kind of citrus tree, too. The fruit was bitter, but didn't look or taste like lemons. I don't know what they were.

CD

Here's a new plantain recipe: Torta de Plátanos (Savoury Plantain Cake)
This is typical of Venezuela, and possibly many other Caribbean nations, in that it combines sweet and savoury at the same time. This dish is usually served with meat or chicken.
Offhand, I can think of two other dishes which combine white cheese with items that might be considered sweet. The first is a sweet bun, slathered in raw cane sugar syrup (melao) and served with a slab of soft white cheese (usually queso guayanes or queso telita). The other is a favourite breakfast/brunch dish ; a sweetcorn pancake called "cachapa", which is grilled, stuffed with a chunk of cheese and then folded over.
Torta de Plátanos:
Torta de platanos 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom