Plantains

I prefer to use plantains that have a little bit of black on them, but not totally black. They are a little bit softer.

I don't know much about Indonesian cooking, but for Caribbean cooking, green plantains are used for dishes like mofongo and tostones.

CD
Carribbean and South American cuisines are something I know very little about, but I am interested to learn. Seems they use plantains very differently than I am used to, but I am sure if it's so common it must be good.

Ohh, I forgot about this use until just now. You cut the plantain really thick, fry at a slightly lower temperature than normal so it doesn't burn before it gets cooked, then use a special smasher that makes it into a cup shape, fry again to crisp then use it to serve bite size portions of food.

You can smash flat and form sort of a cup by hand, but the special smasher makes it a lot easier and isn't expensive.

shopping.jpg

Ohh, I forgot about this use until just now. You cut the plantain really thick, fry at a slightly lower temperature than normal so it doesn't burn before it gets cooked, then use a special smasher that makes it into a cup shape, fry again to crisp then use it to serve bite size portions of food.

You can smash flat and form sort of a cup by hand, but the special smasher makes it a lot easier and isn't expensive.

.View attachment 103341
That looks totally fun!

Here's a recipe for green plantain soup. I've adapted the recipe from several websites, but the photo is from saborgourmet.com
I thought it was only Venezuela and Colombia that made this, but I found recipes from Ecuador, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic and Panama, each with their own special "touches". Creamed in Venezuela, chunky in Colombia, and often with spare ribs added, peanuts in Ecuador.
Sopa de Plátano

I wonder how plantains can be used for bbq?
You could slice them lengthwise, open them a little, drizzle or sprinkle whatever you want, then wrap them in foil and cook.

There's a Cuban preparation that uses not totally ripe plantains with butter, salt and brown sugar, don't remember if there is anything else, then bakes. It's used as a side dish, but to me is more of a dessert.

There's a Cuban preparation that uses not totally ripe plantains with butter, salt and brown sugar, don't remember if there is anything else, then bakes. It's used as a side dish, but to me is more of a dessert.
I think I saw one online like that with cinnamon, too.

Back
Top Bottom