The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:31 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_1133.JPG

I wanted to present this at the same time as the Steak and Shrimp Dim Sum, but time got away from me (even The Late Night Gourmet needs to sleep occasionally, especially when he has work the next day).

You may notice that there are a few pomegranates in this preparation. I did crack open a pomegranate, and I was prepared to only use about half of the seeds. But, as I mixed them in, I realized that I loved the taste that the seeds added.

Why brown rice instead of basmati rice? Because, when the time came to make this, I found that I only had about 3/4 cup of basmati rice. Can you imagine how this would have looked with the same number of pomegranate seeds, but half the rice? Hmmm...yes, now I'm starting think about that.

Finally, I had hoped for an explosion of color here: the ruby red of the pomegranate seeds, the purple of the red onions, the green of the serranos, the yellow of the turmeric. But, as you can see, the onion and the pepper got absorbed into the rice with the saute. Still, given a choice between a pretty dish with harsh raw onion and pepper, and a less pretty dish with rich flavors, I'll always lean toward the latter.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 serrano pepper, diced
1 1/2 cups brown rice
3 cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
1 medium lemon, zest only
2 pinches vandevi (asafoetida)
1 pomegranate, seeded (refer to the Pomegranate Juice Recipe for instructions)
1 teaspoon kosher salt, or more as needed

Directions

1. Heat oil at medium heat, then add onion pieces. Saute for about 5 minutes while occasionally scraping the pan. Add serrano pieces, stirring frequently for another minute. Watch out for the fumes, as the capsaicin in these peppers is quite potent.

2. Add uncooked rice and stir to coat with the oil. Cook for another 3 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.

3. Add vegetable stock and stir thoroughly. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for 30 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking until the liquids have been absorbed.

4. Stir in turmeric, saffron threads, lemon zest, and vandevi, and cook for another minute.

5. Remove from heat. Strain pomegranate seeds to remove excess juices, then stir the seeds into the rice. Stir in salt, and add more to taste if desired. Serve immediately.

Last edited:
I wanted to present this at the same time as the Steak and Shrimp Dim Sum, but time got away from me (even The Late Night Gourmet needs to sleep occasionally, especially when he has work the next day).

You may notice that there are a few pomegranates in this preparation. I did crack open a pomegranate, and I was prepared to only use about half of the seeds. But, as I mixed them in, I realized that I loved the taste that the seeds added.

Why brown rice instead of basmati rice? Because, when the time came to make this, I found that I only had about 3/4 cup of basmati rice. Can you imagine how this would have looked with the same number of pomegranate seeds, but half the rice? Hmmm...yes, now I'm starting think about that.

Finally, I had hoped for an explosion of color here: the ruby red of the pomegranate seeds, the purple of the red onions, the green of the serranos, the yellow of the turmeric. But, as you can see, the onion and the pepper got absorbed into the rice with the saute. Still, given a choice between a pretty dish with harsh raw onion and pepper, and a less pretty dish with rich flavors, I'll always lean toward the latter.

I will include this as part of your overall grand recipe entry, if you like. I think that's the idea. I shouldn't worry about the brown rice detracting from this. It gives it a complimentary color effect to your Steak and Shrimp Dim Sum. And of course, the Pomegranate give congruence to all.

You just introduced me to vandevi. I had never heard of it before and had to look it up.

Oh and when it comes to Serrano peppers and onions and other things stinging my eyes, I just accept those things and work through it. It's all part of cooking. My cutting board gets flavored after cutting some things, especially peppers, habaneros, etc. Even washing the board doesn't take away the flavor and scent. It's cool.

My first thought was to try this with Risotto. After consideration I realize that the pomegranate is a perfect complement to the nuttiness of brown rice. A brown rice, wild rice mixture would be interesting.

Good point.

Back
Top Bottom