Preparing for Christmas

You are actually making karadekoolaid's point about commercialization of Christmas. :scratchhead:

I'd bet good money that people would spend just as much on Christmas whether the shelves were stocked for two months or six months. Just my opinion, but I only know one person who buys Christmas stuff all year around.
Exactly. I believe that if you're made to wait for something you want, and that something you're going to buy at what ever the price. However, if it's available all the time, then it becomes less valuable and less desirable. If businesses really believe that putting Xmas stuff on show in the middle of August is a good idea, I'd suggest they need new Marketing directors. :cool:

My son is the manager of a new toy shop in Maidstone. Apparently its 'shoplift early for Christmas' time right now. He is expecting sales to really soar from November onwards.

I'm not one for Christmas. But strangely for me I've been buying a few small inexpensive things for my kids for Christmas. I've been doing a lucky dip 'swap, donate or keep' basket since last year. Small things which if they don't want they can pass on. I try to pick things which are fun or useful (often foodie items).

Since I haven't intentionally (I had pneumonia last year) spent Christmas at my own home in many years, I see no point in doing any decorating. When I was married, we either went to her parent's house or my parent's house for Christmas, but my ex still insisted on fully decorating the house inside and out.

CD

I always loved Xmas when the kids were here, because there would be people in the house from the 15th to the 31st of December. now they've gone (to Cincinnati and London), Xmas is a bit bleak.
Venezuelans celebrate Xmas on the 24th, and that means an enormous feast which always includes a signature dish (only made at Xmas time) called Hallacas . accompanied by Chicken Salad (Russian salad with chicken!) , roast pork and an abundance of rum.
I used to do an "English" Xmas lunch on the 25th, which usually meant dinner because everyone was hung over from the night before.

First of the Christmas stuff at the international market:

IMG_6024.jpeg
IMG_6025.jpeg
IMG_6026.jpeg
IMG_6027.jpeg

I've already gathered together a few small gifts for family and friends over the course of the year, as medtran49 mentioned, but as to decorating ... since moving my Mother closer to us, I have not been able to find the time to do that ... I probably should change that this year, since it's been a 💩 coupla years. I have oodles of stuff, I just need to get it down from storage.

Back
Top Bottom