Preparing Oats

Local time
1:02 PM
How do you prepare your oats? For many years I have been boiling my oatflakes. I would first bring the water to a boil and then add in the oatflakes and boil on a low heat, stirring occasionally. However, for the past year or so, I have been boiling the water and then adding it to the oats in the cereal bowl where I would let it stand for about 10 to 15 minutes. After this time, the oats would have thickened and be ready to eat. I believe that doing it this way is the better way since one would get more nutritional value from the oats. The oats would also be more crispy than if they are boiled..

I eat them one of 2 way.

1 - I just soak the oats in milk (dairy free milk) overnight and serve them cold as they are. This is great with fruit as a sweetener.
2 - I just soak the oats in milk (dairy free milk) overnight and heat them up. I cook till they are the thickness I require and serve hot with a sweetener of some form, usually Demerara sugar.

I personally don't like them 'crispy'.

Boil the milk add the oats stir for 2 minutes at the simmer
In bowl fresh fruit dried fruits seeds fresh fruit slices sprinkle of Demerara sugar , job done

Boil the milk add the oats stir for 2 minutes at the simmer
In bowl fresh fruit dried fruits seeds fresh fruit slices sprinkle of Demerara sugar , job done
Sounds good. Most around here prepare it in the same way as Caribbean girl although I have recollections of my mom adding barley and the like to spice it up. I am not a huge fan but my son has been asking me recently what's the best way to make it. He keeps picking up some to give him power he says. I've had a large bag in the fridge from yesteryear. Do you guys reckon it's still okay? It smells fine but no one seems interested in using it and I am not sure I should just toss it.

Sounds good. Most around here prepare it in the same way as Caribbean girl although I have recollections of my mom adding barley and the like to spice it up. I am not a huge fan but my son has been asking me recently what's the best way to make it. He keeps picking up some to give him power he says. I've had a large bag in the fridge from yesteryear. Do you guys reckon it's still okay? It smells fine but no one seems interested in using it and I am not sure I should just toss it.
It's a slow release carb ,great for energy , I have posted a link for a quinoa porridge some where

I usually soak my oats in milk for 15 - 20 minutes then I add an energy supplement to it (Supligen) with a few slices of banana and a dash of cinnamon powder and I am good to go. This is very tasty and filling and have me boosted for a couple of hours.

My mother eats only oats but we have caregivers who do the job although they are under instruction from my sister who lives with my mother. The oats are not cooked unlike before because what I buy are instant oats. The only mix they do is a little sugar because my mother has a tendency to be diabetic and a little milk. She eats 6 times a day. She has been on that diet since 5 years ago when she suffered a stroke.

I prepare my rolled oats by boiling the water first then add the oats and continue to boil until it is cooked. Then add powdered milk because for me it taste better then add a little of brown sugar. Sometimes I put banana or apple slices to the oats and milk mixture.

I boil the water along with the oats for a few minutes, let it sit till thick add spice, apples or raisins and enoy.

I usually buy the old fashioned oats, so I cook them longer than I would with the quick cook or instant oats. But, I recently bought some instant oats because I've seen a lot of recipes lately using them to make oatmeal snack or meal-replacement bars. I never realized I could make snack bars with the quick cooking oats, I figured I'd have to get the old fashioned oats and cook the bars in the oven, but some don't even require cooking.

I usually buy the old fashioned oats, so I cook them longer than I would with the quick cook or instant oats. But, I recently bought some instant oats because I've seen a lot of recipes lately using them to make oatmeal snack or meal-replacement bars. I never realized I could make snack bars with the quick cooking oats, I figured I'd have to get the old fashioned oats and cook the bars in the oven, but some don't even require cooking.

But wouldn't you still have to cook the bars in the oven? If not, please give me a recipe as I often make oaty bars!

Back
Top Bottom