Processed meat scare

That is awesome that your grandpa is 102. What a great life. Poke obviously doesn't do him any harm. He is doing something right. That made my day. I love hearing things like that. Not many people life to such an age. You are so blessed to still have him.

Even how careful we are to our health all of us will die. In fact there are those who died not because of health problems but by means of other cause. That is why some people are thinking that we should eat all what we want for life is too short to prevent ourselves to eat the kind of foods we want to eat. The key here is to eat in moderation and not too much. If we will be scared to all what we are hearing everyday about the foods that will give us health problems then how can can we enjoy our life and eating the foods we want to eat..

I think it's a bit of a stretch to believe that processed meat is as bad as smoking. I don't think processed meat is good for you, but I definitely wouldn't compare it to smoking tobacco. I don't know how people come up with this stuff. I always see random articles come up in my facebook feed, but no one seems to be able to back it up with facts.

Q
Another bit of scaremongering from the men in white coats - processed meat is almost as dangerous as smoking etc etc [here in the UK this one, not sure if they've gone global yet].
IMHO it's time these people had to go out and earn a living instead of coming up with new panic stories every few weeks.
Q

I agree that is probably not helpful to eat processed meats and foods. However, people love bacon,and ham and hot dofs and bolongna are staples over here. I don't see the consumption of red meat going down significantly in the US, regardless of what researchers say. People are just too used to it. Also, not everyone has the money to eat healthy foods 100 percent of the time.

I hope e. Coli scares are going down now too. Do you know it comes from feeding corn to cows? They weren't made to eat corn but grass. We're biologically engineering cows and now they're mutating which causes new diseases to grow. Processed foods are terrible. Organic may be priced higher but the environmental and health costs of processed foods costs higher in the long run for everyone.

I hope e. Coli scares are going down now too. Do you know it comes from feeding corn to cows? They weren't made to eat corn but grass. We're biologically engineering cows and now they're mutating which causes new diseases to grow. Processed foods are terrible. Organic may be priced higher but the environmental and health costs of processed foods costs higher in the long run for everyone.
Organic is great I agree BUT can you guarantee that by producing only organic foods we could feed the number of people we feed now ? And that's not making any claims about feeding the millions who are struggling to feed themselves now. If so - great, but like the tasty 'small baker' produced bread I suspect the sheer bulk quantity is not there. I see only three choices
1 - we produce more food by any means we can
2 - we stop the population growth
3 - we cull the existing population
2 and 3 are not realistic so I can only see 1 happening. Processed may not be good for you and it's not a great option but it is food and unlike many of the so called experts I come from a generation who can still remember where even in the first world people still went hungry.

Organic meat isn't the healthiest for the animal though. Nearly every normally available treatment is disallowed.
This brings extra sufferring for the animal. Were it to be done to a pet, you'd find yourself in trouble.

The news about the red meat and processed meats causing cancer is world wide now. I read about this about 2 weeks ago, and thought to my self "Not Again". I was not impressed. This is actually not the first time I hear about this. They said the same thing about 10-15 years ago and it people all over the world went crazy with the news. Like cupcakechef said, it does seem like nowadays everything does have carcinogens. You know I think the problem lies in how foods and meats are raised and grown these days, and all the hormones and preservatives that are used to grow either grow them quicker and bigger or make them last longer. It's just not natural.

The news about the red meat and processed meats causing cancer is world wide now. I read about this about 2 weeks ago, and thought to my self "Not Again". I was not impressed. This is actually not the first time I hear about this. They said the same thing about 10-15 years ago and it people all over the world went crazy with the news. Like cupcakechef said, it does seem like nowadays everything does have carcinogens. You know I think the problem lies in how foods and meats are raised and grown these days, and all the hormones and preservatives that are used to grow either grow them quicker and bigger or make them last longer. It's just not natural.

Studies were showing that processed meat was bad for us quite a while ago. They throw a lot of chemicals into some of them, and that's not exactly great for our health. I don't think it's as bad as they make it sound, but our bodies were made for natural foods. The methods of preserving meats are different today from the way they did it back in the day. We've started looking for shortcuts, and I'm not positive that those shortcuts have been entirely beneficial.

Studies were showing that processed meat was bad for us quite a while ago. They throw a lot of chemicals into some of them, and that's not exactly great for our health. I don't think it's as bad as they make it sound, but our bodies were made for natural foods. The methods of preserving meats are different today from the way they did it back in the day. We've started looking for shortcuts, and I'm not positive that those shortcuts have been entirely beneficial.
Compare beef, just over 100 years apart! Both bred in the style of the era.
1800s Bull.jpg
20th century bull.jpg

but our bodies were made for natural foods.
No - our bodies like all other living things exist on chemicals. From the enzymes in our gut to the tiniest amoeba both plants and animals digest chemicals of one sort or another. They do not differentiate between where those chemicals come from. Some plants in areas of poor soil have adapted to digest insects [yep that means meat] not a usual plant food but the plant does not care where it gets it's nutritional chemicals from. The question is not do we exist on chemicals but are we consuming the correct chemicals.

No - our bodies like all other living things exist on chemicals. From the enzymes in our gut to the tiniest amoeba both plants and animals digest chemicals of one sort or another. They do not differentiate between where those chemicals come from. Some plants in areas of poor soil have adapted to digest insects [yep that means meat] not a usual plant food but the plant does not care where it gets it's nutritional chemicals from. The question is not do we exist on chemicals but are we consuming the correct chemicals.

Chemicals are a part of our natural makeup. I'm not disagreeing with that. That doesn't mean we aren't meant to eat natural things, rather than whatever chemical cocktail folks come up with.

Back
Top Bottom