Rating Recipes.

Wyshiepoo

Veteran
Local time
3:49 AM
Does anyone else rate their recipes? As I've mentioned I rarely invent my own recipes, practically everything I cook comes out of a book or from the web.
I've got a reasonably large selection of cook books and in an attempt to thin them down I'm attempting to rate each recipe in a book and only keep the 'I'd eat that again' rated recipes and then pass the books on to somebody else.
But my system is a bit primitive with the recipes basically being rated yuck, ok I suppose, yes do that again.

Does anyone else have a system?

I'm thinking of going for three simple criteria, taste, texture or mouth feel and appearance.

So for instance the meal from yesterday, Oriental Pork with Pasta, would be rated out of 10;

Taste - 5 or 6.
Texture - 7
Appearance 4 or 5

So a rating of 16 minimum to 18 maximum, not enough to reach a pass mark of say, 20+.

I would however be tempted to include a meal that scored a 9 or 10 in one criteria but had a low rating in the other two.

Any advice?

Anyone else do similar?

An interesting question. I don't have any system but I'm a very harsh critic of both my own recipes and those from books/internet. I probably do use similar criteria to those you are using but I don't use a numerical system. So:

Taste - complexity of taste, subtlety of taste (where appropriate) and strength of taste (where appropriate).
Appearance - very important to me as I like to dress a plate and photograph the food . So - colours, textures, shapes.
Texture/ mouth feel - I hadn't consciously thought about that but it is important. Again its 'as appropriate'.
Aroma - very important!
Creativity - important for my own recipes as I don't want to be replicating what has been done many times before. But I am also interested in any recipes which use ingredients in unexpected ways or juxtapose ingredients in new combinations.

There is another criteria which is important to me personally - I'm really not prepared to make things which are style over substance. The sort of creations you see on cake making shows - I've seen some examples of this on Great Bake-off - elaborate constructions of cakes made to look like something they are not and take hours of sugar work. So there is the criteria: how easy or difficult is this to make in relation to the outcome.

Appearance is a tricky one as some dishes are never going to look particularly stunning but can still be delicious. A mushroom soup, for example is going to look, well, beige. Best you can do is dress it with some cooked sliced mushrooms and swirls of oil or cream etc.

I don't "rate" my meals with numbers. I definitely critique the hell out of them. I ask my family/friends for honest critiques. I love my son. He is similar to me. He will be brutally honest lol.

Yeah, perhaps the numbers thing is a bit over obsessive.

There is another criteria which is important to me personally - I'm really not prepared to make things which are style over substance. The sort of creations you see on cake making shows - I've seen some examples of this on Great Bake-off - elaborate constructions of cakes made to look like something they are not and take hours of sugar work. So there is the criteria: how easy or difficult is this to make in relation to the outcome.

I did think about including the difficulty level in my criteria but the difficulty wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the dish. I do however make notes in all my books and I do include the difficulty in my notes.

I rate my recipes with toilets, viz:

recipe rating.jpg

We just rate by how much we like the dishes and whether or not we like it enough to make again if it's something that's a pain to make or takes forever.

We just rate by how much we like the dishes and whether or not we like it enough to make again if it's something that's a pain to make or takes forever.

Seriously, this.

The best compliment I can get from my wife and son is "Can you put this dish in the regular meal rotation". I've gotten that a few times recently. Makes me proud of my accomplishments.

Back
Top Bottom