Raw eggs: would you eat one?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:09 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm on a Facebook group for poultry and am having a discussion with someone about raw eggs. It's come about because this lunchtime some of the double yolkers I'd hard-boiled had become mixed up with some raw double yolkers and rather unfortunately I had forgotten to mark the cooked eggs with HB which I normally do. :whistling:

Even more unfortunately my hubby has this habit of cracking open hard boiled eggs by tapping the harder than I would on the bread board until they crack open (at the air sac). :eek: Needless to say he wasn't tasty impressed when the egg he cracked open wasn't actually cooked. The discussion came about because I had said I was in the dog house... They said he was being precious!

What do you think? These are our own free range, organic eggs.
And would you have eaten a raw egg on your bread for lunch? The eggs are exceptionally fresh, in fact if we had checked the dates beforehand we would have noticed that they were lain after I had boiled the last batch of double yolkers and so could not possibly have been cooked!

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Of course, considering the source of the eggs, as I buy only ecological eggs, from an Egg Monger at La Mercat de La Boqueria or a local farm a few kilometres north ..

I drink in a shot glass, beaten lightly for breakfast. Great source of protein ..

When I was a child my mother used to mix a raw egg in a glass of milk for me to drink. Never did me any harm. :hyper::chicken:

I would and after all plenty of people make home-made mayo with the raw yolk. If I had accidentally cracked a raw one though, I'd probably add a little milk (almond milk) and scramble it in the microwave. Here's some I made earlier.

20171020_132820.jpg

To quote the Egg Nutrition Centre Blog (an American publication)

But are there benefits to consuming eggs raw?

You may be surprised to learn that the digestibility and absorption of egg protein is much greater in cooked eggs. One study, published in The Journal of Nutrition, found that the availability of egg protein is 91% with cooked eggs and only 50% with raw eggs.2 That means a raw egg would only provide 3 grams of digestible protein. Compared to eating a whole cooked egg, which contains almost 6 grams of protein.

The higher digestibility of protein in cooked eggs is likely due to structural changes caused by cooking. Another reason for the difference in digestibility may be Trypsin Inhibitors. Trypsin is an enzyme that breaks down proteins and may be blocked by enzymes in raw eggs. Heat will destroy some of the functional properties of protein, such as inhibiting trypsin, so that the protein is more readily digested.

Back
Top Bottom