Recipe Red Beans and rice

Local time
3:17 PM
I found a great crock-pot recipe for Red Beans and Rice; it is so good that my family asks me to make it over and over again. It's really just a dump and go recipe too, so simple to make:

1 lb. dried red beans
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
1 lb. sausage (original recipe called for andouille, I used smoked sausage because that's what I had)
3 Tbsp. Creole Seasoning
white rice (I've found the basic Minute Rice works best with this recipe)

Put first 7 ingredients in the crock-pot; cook on high for 7 hours or until the beans are tender. Serve over prepared rice.

We enjoy this with a loaf of bread. The biggest problem with this recipe is that approximately 3 hours after starting it, your house will smell amazing and you'll be tempted to start picking at the food way too early! Hope anyone who tries it enjoys it as much as we do!

That sounds great! One question I have: do the beans come out whole, or do they start to fall apart?

Every time I have tried to cook dried beans in a crockpot they will start to fall apart, the skins will peel off and I'll have a mess of skin and bean mush. Maybe I cook them too long?

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG

Here's my version of it, cooked in the pressure cooker. :wink:

Shermie, that looks so good! My mouth is watering! I've never used a pressure cooker before. In fact, just the other day my husband and I saw one in the store and I even said, "I don't even know what it's used for."

Dina00, my beans stay together, I've never had a problem with them falling apart. Are you starting with dried beans? I'm not sure if it's the length of cooking or not, this particular recipe calls for a 7 hour cooking time, and I know I've left them in the crock-pot longer on days when was out all day.

Dina00, my beans stay together, I've never had a problem with them falling apart. Are you starting with dried beans? I'm not sure if it's the length of cooking or not, this particular recipe calls for a 7 hour cooking time, and I know I've left them in the crock-pot longer on days when was out all day.

Yes, specifically dried black or red beans. I actually never use dried beans anymore because I always have this problem, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The skin comes apart and peels up in little curls, and the texture is awful because you taste bean mush and skin curls. It only happens to me with dried beans, never canned. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Shermie, that looks so good! My mouth is watering! I've never used a pressure cooker before. In fact, just the other day my husband and I saw one in the store and I even said, "I don't even know what it's used for."

Thought you'd like that. Hah!!
Yeah, in the pressure cooker, they get done in about an hour. All that left then, is to let the liquid boil down and thicken a little. :wink:

Last edited:
I love red beans and rice. I thick I will be using your recipe very soon.

Thanks!

I've never done them in the slow cooker. Mainly because I usually do them in the afternoon, and in order to get dinner on the table quick, fast & in a hurry, I mostly turn to the pressure cooker to Get the Job Done much sooner. :wink:

Like most of my recipes, my red beans and rice recipe is very basic and bland. I love it that way, but I'm the only one, lol. I just made mine today, but i am trying yours next time.

Back
Top Bottom