Restaurant Copycat Recipies

kgord

Veteran
Local time
1:07 AM
I have seen many restaurant copycat recipies over the years. One of the most recent I have seen in Alice Springs Chicken which is supposed to taste identical to Outback Steakhouses. I can't wait to make that and plan to have it this weekend when it is a little cooler..Do you make copycat recipies? how do they turn out?

Well, I have used recipes from restaurants in the past - but they aren't really copycat as they are the actual recipes which the chefs concerned have demonstrated on TV programmes. For example, in the Hairy Bikers Food Tour of Britain they visited top end restaurants around the country and competed against the chef to provide the best dish, The book of the series (which I have) has the chef's recipes as well as the Hairy Biker's recipes. Anyway, as a result of your post I found the following website and I'm now very excited!!!

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/collections/michelin-star-recipes

Let's be honest ,no one can re event the wheel as I say ,it's how you develop dishes that makes them ,look at the great British chef web site ,many old combinations redesigned ,different textures ,it's the skill that goes into them that makes them special !could the average cook replicate them ,unlikely ,theese dishes are practiced ,my look easy to do but they are all easy to get wrong,

Let's be honest ,no one can re event the wheel as I say ,it's how you develop dishes that makes them ,look at the great British chef web site ,many old combinations redesigned ,different textures ,it's the skill that goes into them that makes them special !could the average cook replicate them ,unlikely ,theese dishes are practiced ,my look easy to do but they are all easy to get wrong,

Well I'm going to have a go at some of them anyway! :D

I had never heard of Alice Springs Chicken, but after looking it up, it seems fairly straightforward to make. The only thing you're really mixing together is the honey mustard sauce, but you could even buy that already prepared as well. The rest it is just cooking the bacon and chicken, sauteing the mushrooms, and layering everything with the cheeses and melting them. It does sound pretty good, and I will have to give it a try soon!

I spent almost 2 years trying out copycat recipes for the "bourbon chicken" that they serve at Asian Chao in many food courts across the US, as well as most Chinese takeout places. and could not find a single recipe that even came remotely close. Some called for actual bourbon, while others claimed the recipe was Cajun and in fact named after Bourbon Street, hence the name. Still, other recipes called for white grape juice mixed with soy sauce, or tons of brown sugar, all no luck. Then I finally found a company online that sold the marinade and glaze to make the real bourbon chicken. It was a two part process, you have to marinate the chicken thighs in a smoky marinade, then cook them in a sweet glaze. At $15 for both bottles plus shipping, and that's before we even factor in the cost of the chicken thighs, it wasn't very economical or practical. Plus on the back of both bottles, MSG was listed as one of the main ingredients. It was fun trying though! But I just go to Asian Chao or order it from my local Chinese takeout when I want it, lol.

I've seen some recipes posted as the original of whatever restaurant but I always feel like it's not going to be the same once you prepare it yourself. That said, I've never tried any, but I won't ever rule it out. I'd like to try some Chili's chipotle chicken for my son. He loves it and there is not Chili's in my country.

Tom -- same here! I LOVE bourbon chicken, but it seems impossible to make it at home at a budget friendly price. It's cheaper to just go up to the mall food court and grab it there. :( That's unfortunately the case with SO much these days, though.

Bella -- I love the Chili's chipotle chicken! Have you come across a recipe for that? Chili's also has a great chicken quesadilla. I would love to figure out some of their sauces/spices on those. Especially since they discontinued my favorite of the options!

Bella -- I love the Chili's chipotle chicken! Have you come across a recipe for that? Chili's also has a great chicken quesadilla. I would love to figure out some of their sauces/spices on those. Especially since they discontinued my favorite of the options!

I feel I might have seen it elsewhere ages ago but I will promise you if I find it again, I will share it with you. My son also told me I need to learn how to fry chicken like Kentucky when he was a child. I am still trying........not very hard, and he's a healthy eater most days.

I tried a copycat recipe for Kentucky Fried Chicken. It wasn't nearly as good or flavourful as the real chicken. It must the herbs and spices KFC uses and the copycat recipes just didn't get it right.

I do not notice here a restaurant with a copycat recipe of their dishes. But we tried to copy a recipe of Max's Restaurant, reputedly the house that chicken built. Their specialty is the fried chicken that has the plain banana ketchup for a dip. Their chicken was popular ever since I was a young girl. My husband had a friend who used to worked in Max's and bragged the recipe to my husband. At home, we tried that recipe and it was good. You may not believe but the marinade is the fish sauce locally called Patis. Marinate the chicken in fish sauce for at least 1 hour before cooking. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom