Recipe Rhubarb Gin

Discussion in 'Beverages, Drinks and Smoothies' started by MrsDangermouse, Jun 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MrsDangermouse

MrsDangermouse Senior Member

Those of you in the UK will probably have noticed how popular gin is now - almost every pub has a gin & tonic menu and you can buy gin & tonic flavour cakes and ice cream in most supermarkets :ohmy:
    So in keeping with the trend, when the rhubarb on the allotment went crazy we decided to have a go a rhubarb gin.

Its a very simple recipe, these are the volumes I used but they are totally customisable depending on your personal taste :D
    - 500ml London dry gin (just a basic one, don't bother with any of the fancy ones)
    - 500g rhubarb
    - 100g caster sugar (I should have used 200g per the original recipe, but I didn't want it too sweet)

Method:
    - First, wash your rhubarb and chop into smallish chunks and put into a glass jar with a lid
    - Add the sugar and mix well to ensure the rhubarb is coated
    - Close the lid and leave for 24 hours to macerate
    - After 24 hours add the gin
    - Close the lid and leave in a cool dark place for at least 4 weeks
    - Strain and bottle
    [​IMG]

- Enjoy with ice and a mixer of your choice - I personally recommend ginger ale, hubby says its also nice with plain or elderflower tonic:okay:

rascal likes this.
  2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member Recipe Challenge Judge

I reckon that I'd love this as I love rhubarb - and what a glorious colour.

3. MrsDangermouse

Yes I was particularly pleased at the colour it turned out :) I used a variety of rhubarb called Strawberry Surprise which keeps its colour even when cooked, I'm not sure if the colour intensity will be the same with other varieties. Its a little bit cloudy too because I used golden caster sugar - the recipe did suggest to use white sugar for exactly that reason but I didn't have any - it didn't affect the taste though :okay:

4. rascal

rascal Senior Member

I've got lots of gin here, just got to find some rhubarb, so simple and easy, and different. I love different. Love the colour.

Russ

5. MrsDangermouse

If you like gin then keep an eye of for reports of our future experiments.....next up will be strawberry gin, and rhubarb and vanilla :okay:

morning glory likes this.