Recipe Rhubarb Gin

Local time
6:08 AM
Those of you in the UK will probably have noticed how popular gin is now - almost every pub has a gin & tonic menu and you can buy gin & tonic flavour cakes and ice cream in most supermarkets :ohmy:
So in keeping with the trend, when the rhubarb on the allotment went crazy we decided to have a go a rhubarb gin.

Its a very simple recipe, these are the volumes I used but they are totally customisable depending on your personal taste :D
- 500ml London dry gin (just a basic one, don't bother with any of the fancy ones)
- 500g rhubarb
- 100g caster sugar (I should have used 200g per the original recipe, but I didn't want it too sweet)

Method:
- First, wash your rhubarb and chop into smallish chunks and put into a glass jar with a lid
- Add the sugar and mix well to ensure the rhubarb is coated
- Close the lid and leave for 24 hours to macerate
- After 24 hours add the gin
- Close the lid and leave in a cool dark place for at least 4 weeks
- Strain and bottle
DAaAujb.jpg

- Enjoy with ice and a mixer of your choice - I personally recommend ginger ale, hubby says its also nice with plain or elderflower tonic:okay:

Yes I was particularly pleased at the colour it turned out :) I used a variety of rhubarb called Strawberry Surprise which keeps its colour even when cooked, I'm not sure if the colour intensity will be the same with other varieties. Its a little bit cloudy too because I used golden caster sugar - the recipe did suggest to use white sugar for exactly that reason but I didn't have any - it didn't affect the taste though :okay:

I've got lots of gin here, just got to find some rhubarb, so simple and easy, and different. I love different. Love the colour.

Russ

I like rhubarb but don't like rhubarb gin, I tried it with ginger ale which was recommended by a couple of friends but not keen to be honest. Just not a gin drinker.

Enjoy your gin, it look a lovely colour :okay:

Those of you in the UK will probably have noticed how popular gin is now - almost every pub has a gin & tonic menu and you can buy gin & tonic flavour cakes and ice cream in most supermarkets :ohmy:
So in keeping with the trend, when the rhubarb on the allotment went crazy we decided to have a go a rhubarb gin.
I'm just as mesmerized by that colour as everyone else. Lovely.

Back
Top Bottom