Rich Tea or Oreos?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:08 PM
Never let it be said that 2016 was not, at least, creative in the ways in which it delivered bad news. We have had Bowie, Brexit, Trump and, now, in this darkest of 12 months, it seems even the beloved British biscuit scene is crumbling. It seems that the UK has swapped Rich Tea (biscuits) for Oreos. What has happened to the UK’s dunking spirit?

OK, you may grudgingly respect someone who changes their favourite biscuit brand in the name of health. But the news that, simultaneously, Oreo’s UK sales have risen by £12m is more difficult to digest.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...oreos-what-happened-to-the-uks-dunking-spirit

Don't like oreos even if they are apparently vegan. I know rich tea are also vegan but they ate by far my favourite. however I'm sorry, I prefer hobnobs which in their non chocolate coveted form, are also vegan, my favourite being their choc-chip version (also vegan)... dunked? only in an Almond milk or an oat milk hot chocolate!

Not sure why exactly Bowie Trump and Brexit are classed as bad news - Bowie - well, getting on a bit, not really a slip of a lad Brexit - untried as yet no possible conclusions Trump - untried as yet no possible conclusions. That is the way of democracy - you vote, you may get your way - you may not, right or wrong. Predictions [ unless someone has a real time machine are quite futile]. If you're looking for bad news sadly there is plenty of it out there - mostly man made that doesn't involve guesswork.
As for the rich tea - SO boring and mostly pretty tasteless give me a ginger biscuit any day. Oreos - just a modern fad they'll be replaced by something else when the manufacturers decide.

Never had an oreo and don't think I ever will they just don't look appetizing. Custard creams and bourbons :thumbsup:

One rich tea biscuit = 1.7g of sugar. One oreo biscuit = 11.3g of sugar. Any wonder we have an obesity and diabetes problem.

When I was a kid I ate sweets, cakes and biscuits-mostly at grandmas at the weekend- I have no dental issues, all my own teeth, not diabetic or obese, last health check gave me the all clear so there must be more to the it. Oh yes, we didn't always have a car so used to walk a lot....

When I was a kid I ate sweets, cakes and biscuits-mostly at grandmas at the weekend- I have no dental issues, all my own teeth, not diabetic or obese, last health check gave me the all clear so there must be more to the it. Oh yes, we didn't always have a car so used to walk a lot....
Apparently exercise levels haven't changed that much in the last 40 years (not sure I believe that) but ever since the low fat craze started in the late 70's levels of both obesity and diabetes have shot through the roof. This correlates directly with the the replacement of fat with processed carbs and sugars in our diets.

As for the rich tea - SO boring and mostly pretty tasteless give me a ginger biscuit any day. Oreos - just a modern fad they'll be replaced by something else when the manufacturers decide.

However, in the case of Oreos, it seems they have been around a rather long time. Maybe not in the UK but they do seem to be tried and tested favourites.

Footnote from Wikipedia:
Toops, Diane (July 1, 2005). "Top 10 power brands". FoodProcessing.com. Retrieved 2012-04-06. In the enviable position of being the No. 1 selling cookie in America since its introduction in 1912, the Oreo, made by Nabisco, East Hanover, N.J., a brand of Kraft Foods, was a true innovation—two chocolate disks with a crème filling in between.

Last edited:
However, in the case of Oreos, it seems they have been around a rather long time. Maybe not in the UK but they do seem to be tried and tested favourites!

Footnote from Wikipedia:
But that doesn't mean that they haven't changed the formula or increased the sugar levels in over a hundred years sadly.

It seems the Bourbon pre-dates the Oreo by just 2 years:

Wiki again:
The Bourbon biscuit (pronounced /bɔːrbən/, sometimes referred to as a Bourbon cream) is a sandwich style biscuit consisting of two thin rectangular dark chocolate–flavoured biscuits with a chocolate buttercream filling.

The biscuit was introduced in 1910 (originally under the name "Creola") by the biscuit company Peek Freans, of Bermondsey, London, originator of the Garibaldi biscuit.[1][2] The new name was taken from the European royal House of Bourbon.[3] The Bourbon biscuit is the fifth most popular biscuit in the UK to dunk into tea.[4]

But that doesn't mean that they haven't changed the formula or increased the sugar levels in over a hundred years sadly.
I wonder if they have increased the sugar levels. I find them quite a dark chocolate taste, rather less sweet than Bourbons in fact. They aren't really a super-sweet biscuit IMHO.
The type of fat content has been changed, however:
Wiki;
Starting in January 2006, Oreo cookies replaced the trans fat in the cookie with non-hydrogenated vegetable oil.[13][16][17]

I wonder if they have increased the sugar levels. I find them quite a dark chocolate taste, rather less sweet than Bourbons in fact. They aren't really a super-sweet biscuit IMHO.
The type of fat content has been changed, however:
Wiki;
Unless you can locate the recipe for them originally or actually contact them and ask them and get a response, I think we are unlikely to ever know!

Back
Top Bottom