Recipe Ring of coconut fudge cake

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:11 PM
I don't have a picture of this as it's been several years since I've made one but this was a favorite of my mother's when I was a child, so I've helped make, as well as made many on my own. This was a 1st place winner in a Pillsbury baking contest many, many, many years ago, probably in early to mid 1970's.

Ring of Coconut Fudge cake

10-inch Bundt or tube pan

Cake
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
3 cups AP flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups hot coffee (or water)
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup fairly finely chopped pecans

Filling
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces

Generously grease and lightly flour pan. Preheat oven to 350 F.

Filling: In a small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg beating until smooth. Stir in chocolate pieces. Set aside.

Cake: In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, and eggs, beat 1 minute at high speed of electric mixer. Add remaining ingredients, except nuts, beat 3 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in nuts. Pour half of batter in prepared pan and smooth. Spoon prepared filling carefully into center of batter. Top with remaining batter. Bakje for 70-75 minutes until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool for 15 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and allow to cool completely, then glaze if desired.

Optional glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 Tbsp cocoa
2 tsp vanilla
1-3 Tbsp hot water

Combine ingredients, using enough water to make glaze thin enough to drizzle on cake. You may leave out the cocoa and add an additional 3 Tbsp powdered sugar if you prefer.

I keep meaning to buy a bundt pan. To me this recipe is quite unusual because of the filling being added at wet batter stage. I googled some images of the recipe and it really does look fudgy.

Most bundt pan recipes that I've looked at do add the filling, if there is one, like this.

Back
Top Bottom