Ripening Avocados

blades

Local time
7:56 PM
Mod Edit: new thread started.

I don't always preheat the oven, either. Sometimes recipes (which I don't really follow often anyway) call for the oven to be preheated before ingredients are being compiled so the food doesn't go in for 20 minutes after it's reheated. Waste of energy.

I had eaten some avocado eggrolls at BJ's brewhouse before and the avos were brown. Such a turnoff. I don't mind olives being...well, olive colored, but other greens should stay bright green IMO! Good to know this can be done with pizza. I had made a chicken club pizza before with avo but I added avo slivers after pulling it out of the oven instead of under the cheese.
Avocados are a pantry item in our house. We use them at least twice per week. I use them in sandwiches, omelettes, sauces, condiments, soup, pizza, you name it. I think you probably have to overcook one to make it brown or start with one that is over-ripe.

It takes some effort to manage them. Normally they are not ripe in the supermarket so you have to "age" them for days or a week or more before they are ready to use. When they are ready to use you can't put it off. They will turn over-ripe in a day or two just like bananas. I usually have a half dozen of them in the fridge in various stages of ripeness. The two I put in the pizza today were a day shy of ideal ripeness which is ideal when you cook them.

I started writing a cookbook about avocados a few years ago and stopped when I found out how much time and effort is involved in writing a cookbook. Now that I'm a caregiver there is barely time to cook let alone write cookbooks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avocados are a pantry item in our house. We use them at least twice per week. I use them in sandwiches, omelettes, sauces, condiments, soup, pizza, you name it. I think you probably have to overcook one to make it brown or start with one that is over-ripe.

It takes some effort to manage them. Normally they are not ripe in the supermarket so you have to "age" them for days or a week or more before they are ready to use. When they are ready to use you can't put it off. They will turn over-ripe in a day or two just like bananas. I usually have a half dozen of them in the fridge in various stages of ripeness. The two I put in the pizza today were a day shy of ideal ripeness which is ideal when you cook them.

I started writing a cookbook about avocados a few years ago and stopped when I found out how much time and effort is involved in writing a cookbook. Now that I'm a caregiver there is barely time to cook let alone write cookbooks.
You keep them in the fridge? Does that slow down the ripening?

I love avocados. I've always got a few on hand.

No. They were crispy fried egg rolls. Not microwaved.
The avocados could have been a bit over when the egg rolls were made, or maybe the egg rolls sat in the refrigerator a couple days after they were made before they were ordered and cooked.

You can use slightly under ripe avocados in recipes where they are going to be lightly warmed/cooked.

OK Then I vote for overcooked assuming a restaurant wouldn't serve over-ripe avocados.
That would be optimal but can't say for sure. I know I never ordered them again.

You keep them in the fridge? Does that slow down the ripening?
Yes and yes. I do the opposite of the other people in the thread. I refrigerate them and then sometimes bring them out the morning of the day I intend to use them if they aren't quite ready. They will ripen in a hurry at room temperature.

Yes and yes. I do the opposite of the other people in the thread. I refrigerate them and then sometimes bring them out the morning of the day I intend to use them if they aren't quite ready. They will ripen in a hurry at room temperature.
I tend to do this as well. If they are very unripe, I will get them out of the fridge the day before I use them. But they go into the fridge the moment we buy them. They still ripen in the fridge just nowhere near as quickly.

I tend to do this as well. If they are very unripe, I will get them out of the fridge the day before I use them. But they go into the fridge the moment we buy them. They still ripen in the fridge just nowhere near as quickly.
You might be able to get them closer to ripe than I do in Ohio. Here they are often hard as rocks when purchased.

Well here's an avocado fact. They do not ripen on the tree; in that aspect, they are unique.
There are at least 7 varieties of avocado in Venezuela. there's a hybrid, which is probably the most common, and can weigh anything up to 1.5 kgs. There's the Carupanero: round, green and yummy. There's the avocado from Maracaibo,which turns purple as it's about to ripen. In Choroní (home to the world's finest cacao) the avocados are smallish, thin-skinned, little flesh inside... but when they ripen, they're unbelievable. Then there's the Catalina, a long-necked, deliciously nutty fruit. If you offered people a Haas avocado here, they'd probably laugh at you.
And yet, with all these wonderful varieties here, no-one has ever had the vision to export them. Shame.

Well here's an avocado fact. They do not ripen on the tree; in that aspect, they are unique.
There are at least 7 varieties of avocado in Venezuela. there's a hybrid, which is probably the most common, and can weigh anything up to 1.5 kgs. There's the Carupanero: round, green and yummy. There's the avocado from Maracaibo,which turns purple as it's about to ripen. In Choroní (home to the world's finest cacao) the avocados are smallish, thin-skinned, little flesh inside... but when they ripen, they're unbelievable. Then there's the Catalina, a long-necked, deliciously nutty fruit. If you offered people a Haas avocado here, they'd probably laugh at you.
And yet, with all these wonderful varieties here, no-one has ever had the vision to export them. Shame.
You, sir, are in avocado fantasyland. All we get here are Haas and some larger tasteless ones from Mexico with green skin. It is a shame your farmers don't export them. They should travel well. They might spur more interest in the fruit here in the U.S.

I really miss some of the great fruits we used to enjoy in Cuba like mamey and mamoncillo. I can only get them mail order here. I really miss the small red plantains we use to have for breakfast with our eggs. I can't find them anywhere.

Last edited:
My neighbour has half a dozen avocado trees, and when he's got too many, he'll call me and say "Hey, I've left you a couple of avocados on the wall!"
These were today's offerings. They probably won't ripen for about a week, so paper bag and bananas for them at the moment. The weight of the biggest is in kilos; in pounds and ounces it comes out at 2lbs 12 oz.
Avocados hybrid.jpg
Avocado hybrid 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom