Roasted Vegetable Soup

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
11:08 PM
We love roasted veggies. We've never made a roasted veggie soup before. I wanted to get this thread started before I forgot. Unfortunately I probably won't have time to make it for a few weeks. This weekend is my Birthday Weekend Celebration. I'm having 15 people out for Patrami and poker. Then family from upstate NY will be visiting us for the weekend.

Anyways, if you have some suggestions for a simple home cook then please sound off.

Some favorite roasted veggies are below. Not all will be used in the soup btw.

Asparagus
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Potatoes
Radishes
Zukes
Green and Red Bell Peppers
Jalapenos
Onions

Suggested combinations for the soup? Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks,

B

If you've never made a stock before, then now's the time to start. Since your plan is to make a roasted vegetable soup, your stock should also be made with roasted vegetables if possible. Making a stock is very easy:
  1. Figure out how much stock you need for your recipe (say, 4 cups).
  2. Add at least 50% more water than you need to end up with (say, 6 cups) to a large pot.
  3. Throw in roughly chopped carrots, onions, and the things you usually discard (like potato skins and the woody ends of the asparagus). Note that, here, you'll add roasted carrots and roasted onions, plus anything else that might have been roasted
  4. Add rosemary and thyme, and a bit of salt. Feel free to improvise this part with other seasonings you like, but those are my favorites.
  5. Simmer for at least 4 hours
  6. Strain out the vegetable mush. The rest is your stock!

Back
Top Bottom