Roasting breadfruit on wood.

kammy

Veteran
Local time
9:32 AM
It's always fun at home whenever it's time to get some breadfruit roasted as it's time for the family to be outdoor gathering logs and brambles to make a blazing fire. We usually use pimento wood as this adds to further enhance the flavor of the breadfruit...even though the smoke from the fire is a bother to my eyes i greatly enjoy such experiences.

Roasting breadfruit is a very common activity in my country too. However, we have never done this at home. There are times when I have been out picnicking in the country and have observed other people with logs roasting breadfruit on the fire. I believe roasted breadfruit should be nice though, although I do not eat breadfruit regularly. I cannot remember if I have ever tasted it roasted, however.

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough but I have never seen breadfruit here in the UK. Does it not 'travel' or does no one import it ?

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough but I have never seen breadfruit here in the UK. Does it not 'travel' or does no one import it ?
I don't think it is one that had reached the UK.
I found a few newspaper articles regarding it when I searched online for it and UK, and a couple of places selling it tinned, but that was all. If it was avaliable I'm certain it would have come across it tbh because I usually buy things like that when I see them... But then I may not be going into the correct markets because I tend to frequent asain supermarkets rather than Caribbean ones...

I don't think it is one that had reached the UK.
I found a few newspaper articles regarding it when I searched online for it and UK, and a couple of places selling it tinned, but that was all. If it was avaliable I'm certain it would have come across it tbh because I usually buy things like that when I see them... But then I may not be going into the correct markets because I tend to frequent asain supermarkets rather than Caribbean ones...

Whenever you have some time on your hands you could take a look in the Caribbean markets, i can assure it's tasty especially when put alongside some ackee/saltfish or some jerk chicken/pork.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's always fun at home whenever it's time to get some breadfruit roasted as it's time for the family to be outdoor gathering logs and brambles to make a blazing fire. We usually use pimento wood as this adds to further enhance the flavor of the breadfruit...even though the smoke from the fire is a bother to my eyes i greatly enjoy suOh ch experiences.

I should be able to speak with authority on the subject but regrettably I can't. I was the last of seven kids and sadly I missed out on most of the good stuff. That said I did not get much roasting of the breadfruit the old fashioned way. My mom still has breadfruits trees and when it is in season I get my share. As it relates to the roasting I would not even know how to begin as old as I am.

I hear it's still a practice in some country areas especially by the boys on the block. The thought of it just gets me excited. I pray I get to experience it. I need to make time for these fun things. I feel sure it is in the UK at a Caribbean market or something like that. I have heard my uncle who lived there for many years mention seeing it even if very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom