Rock Buns

Discussion in 'Baking, Bread Making and Cakes' started by Naillig, Sep 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Naillig

Naillig Member

Has anyone ever made these? They can also be called rock cakes. I had a recipe once, given to me by a friend, but I lost some of it. It was very easy as it used tub margarine and all the other ingredients were stirred in before the mixture was put on a baking tray in spoonfuls. Most recipes for these buns tell you to rub margarine into flour, but I prefer the other method as it is less messy.

Any ideas? These buns are not as awful as they sound - the rock part refers to the dried fruit that is used, such as currants.

Naillig

2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I have a feeling they might have been one of the cakes I was taught to make at school. They are very easy to make, as you say. Your post had bells tinkling in my head and I've just remembered why - a long while ago I posted a recipe for savoury rock cakes on the forum. Although you are probably not looking for a savoury recipe, you might be interested to see it. I will see if I can find it...

...here we are: Recipe Roquefort Rock Cakes

fullsizeoutput_3a1b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3a1a.jpeg

3. Wandering Bob

Wandering Bob Well-Known Member

Fabulous - I'm placing an express delivery order for them right now.

If you can get them here before 5pm, I can guarantee they'll all have gone before 5.15...

4. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Thanks! Its so long since I made them that I struggle to recall what they were like. But they did all get scoffed! Perhaps I'll make some sweet ones today.

5. Elawin

Elawin Über Member

My Mum used to make these every Sunday morning while dinner was cooking. They never lasted very long.