Rotisserie Fun

CraigC

Guru
Local time
12:32 AM
This is a shawarma we did on the rotisserie I have for my Weber charcoal grill. It amazes me that a "meat paste" can turn into something that can be sliced. Sometimes we make a combo of beef and lamb, but this one is all lamb.
36788-albums1069-picture7135.jpg

37240-albums1042-picture6577.jpg

This year we ordered 25# of Hatch chili, 20# 0f medium and 5# of hot. I used a new toy for the Weber rotisserie to roast them. A round grill basket.

36788-albums1032-picture7142.jpg

36788-albums1032-picture7145.jpg

I started out with a 2 zone fire using briquettes in baskets topped with a pecan 1/2 split. That was not getting the job done in a reasonable time, so I added another basket to create a 3 zone fire. That did the trick. Hatch chilis (grown in Hatch, New Mexico) are very popular in the US.

This is a shawarma we did on the rotisserie I have for my Weber charcoal grill. It amazes me that a "meat paste" can turn into something that can be sliced. Sometimes we make a combo of beef and lamb, but this one is all lamb.
That looks great. Did you put ant seasonings into the lamb?

This year we ordered 25# of Hatch chili, 20# 0f medium and 5# of hot. I used a new toy for the Weber rotisserie to roast them. A round grill basket.
So the red Hatch chillies are the hot ones? They look as if they are very large chillies. Any chillies that size here tend to be very mild.

That looks great. Did you put ant seasonings into the lamb?

So the red Hatch chillies are the hot ones? They look as if they are very large chillies. Any chillies that size here tend to be very mild.

Karen (my wife) put the shawarma together using spices that would be used in a Greek shawarma. I just grilled it.

As I understand it, Hatch chilis are from the "Big Jim" variety. There were some in both the medium and hot that were in various stages of turning red (becoming fully ripe). Karen can barely stand the heat level of the medium and I'm glad we didn't order the super hot or El Scortcho levels. There is a Latin market close by where I can get red, fully ripened jalapenos. I love those better than the green ones for making ABTs (Atomic Buffalo Turds) which are very popular as appes at a BBQ.

IMG_20161031_184802676.jpg
I'd get an indoor rotisserie, but I won't now, since I have THIS & my regular oven. :wink:

Last edited:
Tis the season, Hatch chili season that is! Didn't have to order any online as one of the local grocery stores brought some in, both mild and hot. I was kind enough to leave some for others, most of locals are probably clueless as to what they are.:whistling: I'll be breaking out the rotisserie basket and roasting them on the Weber charcoal grill. Will go much faster this time after my learning curve last year.:okay:

My fire set up for roasting the chilis.

dogboa-2187388-albums-bbq-grilling-pic148880-fire-setup-chilis-8-9-18.jpg

First batch. Took about 15 minutes to blister the skins for easy peeling.

dogboa-2187388-albums-bbq-grilling-pic148881-hatch-chili-roast-9-9-18.jpg

I also learned to spray the basket and rotisserie skewer with cooking spray for easy clean up. Learned my lesson the last time when roasting chicken wings.:eek:

Do you know, for some bizarre reason, at first glance, I read the second image as two bright green frogs in that basket. I think I need to get my eyes tested!

Time to fire up again! We went back to the same store I bought the Hatch chilis at and said I left some for others. Well the others don't appear to have shown up. The boxes still look to be as full as I left them. The big difference, they reduced the price to $.49 per pound! Guess I'll be roasting some more chilis!:heat::pepper:

image.jpeg
Yours look good, I cook lots of lamb , what are your spices , coriander,cumin,fennel,??

My kids bought me this rotisserie.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom