Safe berbequeing

missbishi

Veteran
Local time
4:59 PM
I love to do chicken on the BBQ (UK weather permitting) but I often get worried that I haven't cooked it thoroughly. I don't like leaving it on too long as I'm not a fan of burnt food.

Someone suggested putting the chicken in the oven first and just finishing it off on the grill. Is this safe to do? Do you need to ensure the chicken has been thoroughly cooked in the oven first, or can you simply just start it off in there and finish up on the grill?

I don't barbecue much. That's my husband's department and he used to do more steaks than anything else. I am surprise that the grill is not enough for seeing the meat through to a well cooked finish. I don't suppose baking in the oven for a short period should hurt. I also know that some would parboil the meat before putting it on the grill, but usually that is for tougher meats. I will wait to hear what some of the experts might have to say.

Someone suggested putting the chicken in the oven first and just finishing it off on the grill. Is this safe to do? Do you need to ensure the chicken has been thoroughly cooked in the oven first, or can you simply just start it off in there and finish up on the grill?
What do you expect to happen? The chicken will not explode! :D
Anyway, on a bit more serious note: doesn't really matter how you do it as long as the chicken gets cooked. Over, bbq, microwave, open fire, exhaust of a jet engine.. they all work.

If I'm doing barbecue then the chicken gets cooked in there from start to finish. If you are worried about the chicken not being done, I simply suggest to cut off a small piece and make sure. Doesn't really ruin anything, takes 10 seconds and you can be sure that the chicken is ready. Another option is to cook it at a lower heat, this way it won't get burned even if you do leave it in for a bit longer than you should.

Back
Top Bottom