Recipe Saucisson au chocolat

Discussion in 'Baking, Bread Making and Cakes' started by Wandering Bob, Jul 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wandering Bob

Wandering Bob Well-Known Member

A favourite post-ride snack. I think it's an old Portuguese (or possibly Spanish) recipe that would have contained sherry. Anyway, here's a contemporary French version of an old Iberian recipe. I haven't been able to provide absolute UK/US translations of all the ingredients, but I'm sure you could work them out.

200g chocolate (I used Tablette d’Or: Corsé, but any bitter chocolate would work)
    100g butter
    100g sucre glace (I'm sure that's icing sugar)
    1 egg
    10 marshmallows (chamallow in French)
    150g of broken dry biscuits (type sables)

optionally: 50g of plump raisins (Lexia would be great, if you can find/afford them)

Melt the chocolate & butter in a bain-marie. Let it cool for about 20/25 mins. Once sufficiently cool, add the egg and mix very well, then add the sucre glace (I did this slowly).

Cut the biscuits into little bits. I did this ‘biscuit by biscuit’ by hand and it takes a while. Maybe there are other, quicker ways ? Wrap in a tea towel and smash with a rolling pin?

Cut each cube of marshmallow into six (or 7 or 8 or..)

Then mix everything together in a large mixing bowl (and add the raisins if you're using them).

Take a piece of aluminium foil – about 30cm long. Put the mix onto it and then bend the foil to make the form of a sausage (or log). This is harder than it sounds

Put in the fridge for 6 hours - it should be solid.

upload_2018-7-13_22-28-6.png

MypinchofItaly likes this.
  2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Looks interesting a sounds as if it would be quite a rich tasting cake. Funnily enough I was eyeing up some marshmallows in Aldi the other day a wondering what I could do with them. Personally I don't have a sweet tooth but my daughter would appreciate this I think.

3. CraigC

CraigC Senior Member

Does it have a biscotti like texture?

4. Wandering Bob

If by that you mean do the dry biscuits have a 'biscotti texture' then yes - but the saucisson itself is a pleasing mélange of different tastes and textures. Chocolaty of course, but taken to a different level with the slightly softened biscuits and the almost fondant nature of the marshmallows.

I'm tempted to add that it tastes even better after a 100-kilometre bike ride, but there again, most things do....

I gave up drinking alcohol 16 years ago, but the biscotti reference reminded me of vin santo. That was a lovely combination - I'd forgotten all about it

5. Wandering Bob

I'd never bought marshmallows before in my life - but they're great in the saucisson. I still haven't found another use for them though

I added the raisins on my 3rd or 4th go at this recipe - I have happy childhood memories of Cadbury's Fruit & Nut, but it took me a while to find the right raisins. I started out looking for Lexia raisins - I finally tracked down a UK-based supplier on Amazon UK: £25 per kilo, would you believe, and they wouldn't ship to France anyway, so I gave up. I used to buy Lexia raisins in Neal's Yard in Covent Garden - but that was 30-something years ago - do you ever use Lexia's?

6. morning glory

Never tried then - I'm thinking they are the big plump ones?

7. Wandering Bob

Yes they are - and I think they're from Australia (muscatel grape) although there may also be some Californian growers/suppliers. I can only assume that the cost of shipping them to the UK explains the very high cost. But if you do see them - possibly in a Holland & Barrett - then give them a try (unless they're stupidly pricy)

morning glory likes this.
  8. medtran49

medtran49 Senior Member

Similar to rocky road and sort of to chocolate bark.

buckytom likes this.
  9. morning glory

Will do..

10. morning glory

Yeah - I was thinking of Rocky Road. There is a good Nigella recipe.

11. MypinchofItaly

MypinchofItaly Über Member

Very good! Except for the marshmallows, this seems just the Italian chocolate salami .. In fact saucisson (salsicciotto) - salami.
    I also prepare it and it is of a moving goodness ...

Wandering Bob likes this.
  12. Wandering Bob

Maybe it's only you and I who have noticed that the inside of it resembles a good saucisson/salami.

I could eat my version of this every day of the week. And often do.

Do you want to share your recipe for Italian chocolate salami; please ?

MypinchofItaly likes this.
  13. MypinchofItaly

MypinchofItaly Über Member

Just shared!

morning glory likes this.
  14. Wandering Bob

Thank you !

15. buckytom

buckytom Über Member

I was thinking Rocky Road, or even a S'more.