Recipe Sausage, potatoes and roasted green chilies.

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
5:55 AM
Ingredients

8 - 10 Green cayenne chilies
400 gm Potatoes, peeled and cubed (25 mm)
4 - 6 Pork sausages
1 Medium onion, chopped
4 Garlic cloves, grated.
2 tblsp Olive oil

3 Ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
100 ml water
2 tblsp chopped coriander leaves

Method

Dry roast the cayenne chilies until brown. Roughly chop and keep aside.

roasted cayennes.jpg

Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan and cook the sausages until brown all over. Remove, cut to 25mm lengths and keep aside.

Brown the potato cubes in the same oil, adding a little more if necessary. Remove and keep aside.

Fry the chopped onion and garlic until golden brown. Return the sausages and potatoes to the pan and add the chopped roasted chilies. Add the chopped tomatoes, water and stir to mix. Season with the salt and pepper.

Bring to a simmer, cover the pan and cook for around 20 minutes stirring occasionally.

Sprinkle over the fresh coriander and serve hot.

sausage-chili.jpg

Very nice! I like the technique of roasting the peppers whole before chopping them. I do this when I make salsa, but strangely I've never done it for anything else. Usually, I'd chop the pepper first, which I think would have been a mistake here. By the way, are cayenne's milder when green than when they ripen?

I'm talking so much about the peppers, but in reality I know how I'd eat this: with a big spoon, so I can get the sausage, potato, and pepper all together. I imagine the sausage was mild, so the heat comes from the peppers?

The sausage was very mild (Mallon's Irish Sausage).

Reference the relative heat of the two cayennes, I have no idea. Sometimes the red ones (which I use for salsa) can be hot, sometimes almost mild. Same with the green ones. If the red ones are mild I supplement them with a handful of Thai hot chilis (for salsa).

salsa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom