saying bonjour

Wandering Bob

Über Member
Local time
6:53 AM
As soon as small children in France can cope with cycling without stabilizers, they're given four basic rules of cycling - this is how to pedal, this is how to steer, this is how to brake - and you have to say 'bonjour' to all the other cyclists. And then they're let out on Green Ways (traffic-free cycle trails) with supervising adults.

I passed a gaggle of around a dozen 4 or 5-year olds a couple of weeks back, and every single one of the little charmers said 'bonjour' to me.

There's still some hope for the human race.

How polite French children are. Not many parents here would let 4 to 5 year olds out on there own I suspect.

Not many parents here would let 4 to 5 year olds out on there own I suspect.

No, they wouldn't here either - as I said, they were with supervising adults.

Having been taught these lessons at an early age, they do carry them forward thru the teen years and into adulthood.

Its not just the children......one thing that I love about France is that virtually everyone says bonjour before commencing whatever business the customer is there for. When you walk into the boulangerie and the person behind the counter is already serving someone they'll always greet newcomers (and expect and receive a greeting back from them!) and even in shops where the cash register is towards the back or in a cafe or bar where there'll invariably be a voice call out "bonjour!" from somewhere.

one thing that I love about France is that virtually everyone says bonjour

Yes, it's everywhere and I love it - it's such a simple courtesy and a gesture of warmth and friendliness. I'm so used to it from living here (and in other European countries) that I think I take it for granted now.

I was back in England briefly about 15 years ago, walked into a newsagent's in South London and without thinking, called out "Good morning!". The look of surprise I got from the shopkeeper and the other customers turned swiftly to one of disdain….and, needless to say, my greeting was not returned...

Yes, it's everywhere and I love it - it's such a simple courtesy and a gesture of warmth and friendliness.

I hate to be a wet blanket but I found it irritating when I stayed in France. 'Bonjour Madame' in that sing song voice... a bit like the American 'Have a nice day' to me.

Sorry...

a bit like the American 'Have a nice day' to me.

There's an element of that - there are a whole range of almost automatic responses to certain situations, but I prefer to think that underlying the response is an innate courtesy.

I much prefer it to the mostly churlish, graceless, monosyllabic English (not British) conversational 'etiquette'.

Probably goes a long way to explaining why I didn't leave England with a heavy heart.

I also think its because France is a much more formal society than ours so following the social norms (eg. polite greetings) is much more important than it is in the UK. I work for a French company and the difference in French Vs other countries' interactions (and management style) is very noticeable.
a bit like the American 'Have a nice day' to me.
I think the most noticeable thing is the reciprocity.....its not just the staff saying bonjour, its expected from the customer too. And its considered quite rude not respond in kind.

I also think its because France is a much more formal society than ours so following the social norms (eg. polite greetings) is much more important than it is in the UK.

Maybe it is that which I dislike. I'm an anarchist at heart! I detest formality of any kind.

Maybe it is that which I dislike. I'm an anarchist at heart! I detest formality of any kind.
I do find it a bit frustrating at work because for example a lowly person can't initiate a conversation with a higher up manager themselves. Instead they have to go via their own manager and so on up the chain. Whereas in other countries (UK, Germany, Nordics) there's much less emphasis on hierarchy.

But when I'm travelling I rather enjoy the differences....it all just adds to the experience and I always try to fit in with the local culture. I've seen far too many tourists (of all nationalities) that ignore the local culture of a place and just behave as they would at home, which comes across as rather rude.

Back
Top Bottom