Secret Supermarket Snacks

A few years ago, I was going Sunday mornings at 6AM for my weekend shopping. There’s was something about being in the grocery store that early, with very, very few other shoppers, that made it seem special, so I’d always get a big cup of tea to sip while casually going about the store.

I kind of miss that, actually.
Our shops don’t open til 10am on a sunday so that can’t happen here 😆
I’m one of the few who thinks we should have kept the old Sunday trading Laws where everything shut on a Sunday. Back then there was one day a week when the majority of people got to be at home all at the same time and enjoy a roast together and talk with family and friends.
The supermarkets who pushed for it to happen didn’t benefit either as they discovered people bought approximately the same amount over 7 days as they did 6 but now they also have the additional staffing costs for Sunday.

Our shops don’t open til 10am on a sunday so that can’t happen here 😆
I’m one of the few who thinks we should have kept the old Sunday trading Laws where everything shut on a Sunday. Back then there was one day a week when the majority of people got to be at home all at the same time and enjoy a roast together and talk with family and friends.
The supermarkets who pushed for it to happen didn’t benefit either as they discovered people bought approximately the same amount over 7 days as they did 6 but now they also have the additional staffing costs for Sunday.
In the US, I think only the Amish communities shut down on Sundays. Sunday shopping has been a thing as long as I can remember, and only beer, wine, and liquor sales were prohibited in many areas (still are in some places).

I'm not a weekend shopper at all. In the US it's the worst time to go, with crowded stores, unruly children, rude impatient people, and long lines at the checkout. I'd rather stay in bed.

In Texas, liquor stores and car dealerships are closed on Sundays, by law... and of course, Chic-fil-a.

CD

In Texas, liquor stores and car dealerships are closed on Sundays, by law... and of course, Chic-fil-a.

CD
Chick-fil-A is closed on Sunday in every state.

Liquor stores are closed here on Sunday but some grocery stores sell booze on Sunday during limited hours. Where I grew up in Florida Sunday liquor sales are allowed because it is a beach resort town.

Chick-fil-A is closed on Sunday in every state.

Liquor stores are closed here on Sunday but some grocery stores sell booze on Sunday during limited hours. Where I grew up in Florida Sunday liquor sales are allowed because it is a beach resort town.

That's why I said, "of course." :wink:

Grocery stores can't sell liquor here. Only liquor stores. Grocery stores and convenience stores can sell beer and wine, but on Sundays, only after noon. Good Texans are in church on Sunday morning. :laugh:

CD

That's why I said, "of course." :wink:

Grocery stores can't sell liquor here. Only liquor stores. Grocery stores and convenience stores can sell beer and wine, but on Sundays, only after noon. Good Texans are in church on Sunday morning. :laugh:

CD
That's why I loved New Orleans, many convenience stores carried booze. I also could get a beer and a beignet at 7 a.m. in the Quarter if I wanted.

I’m one of the few who thinks we should have kept the old Sunday trading Laws where everything shut on a Sunday.
That was one of the things we liked about living there - the hours seemed more balanced between work and home life.

The village shop closed for a few hours every Wednesday afternoon, and I remember getting excited for “holiday late-night shopping hours - extended to 7PM!” at the shopping mall in Milton Keynes one Christmas.

That was, however, one of the main complaints of other Americans living there - the “limited” shopping hours, because we’re so used to many things being open until 10PM, and a lot of big box stores open around the clock.

That was one of the things we liked about living there - the hours seemed more balanced between work and home life.

The village shop closed for a few hours every Wednesday afternoon, and I remember getting excited for “holiday late-night shopping hours - extended to 7PM!” at the shopping mall in Milton Keynes one Christmas.

That was, however, one of the main complaints of other Americans living there - the “limited” shopping hours, because we’re so used to many things being open until 10PM, and a lot of big box stores open around the clock.

On my first trip to Spain, they still had daily siestas. Everything closed down for two hours around midday. I don't know how prevalent that is now.

CD

On my first trip to Spain, they still had daily siestas. Everything closed down for two hours around midday. I don't know how prevalent that is now.

CD
Aircon arriving has put pay to that in cities and large malls but outside of that particularly in Southern Spain everything still shuts in the afternoon apart from the large supermarkets in towns and restaurants, they stay open.
The smaller shops open and close when they feel like it. Essentially they will be open at some point before lunch (2pm) on the days they state they will open (but not always 😆) and may or may not return for a couple of hours at 5-7pm ish!
Often they have reduced hours on Saturday and shut for 2-3 days between Sunday and Tuesday.

Siesta time is the absolute best time to go, it’s so ingrained in them to not do chores at the hottest time of the day the supermarket is deserted. Go at 7pm and it’s bedlam!

I love their relaxed attitude. Nobody gets their hair off about a shop being shut.

They also have a million festivals where everything shuts, even taxi’s and public transport stop!

They also have a thing called a bridging holiday which is where a celebration like a Saints day falls one day away from the weekend, for example Thursday they close Friday as well to bridge the gap between that and the weekend or from one celebratory day to another if its very close, well theres no point going in for one day now is there?! 😆

I love their relaxed attitude. Nobody gets their hair off about a shop being shut.
Well despite the political and economic disaster in Venezuela, you can always find somewhere open, and people don't get stressed out about it. Closed? I'll look for another place.
In the poorer areas, there's ALWAYS somewhere where you can buy booze, food, meat, at any time of day.
All that BS about Sunday being a day of rest is simply antiquated, IMO.

They also have a thing called a bridging holiday which is where a celebration like a Saints day falls one day away from the weekend, for example Thursday they close Friday as well to bridge the gap between that and the weekend or from one celebratory day to another if its very close, well theres no point going in for one day now is there?! 😆

Here, it’s more like this:

IMG_5260.jpeg

Well despite the political and economic disaster in Venezuela, you can always find somewhere open, and people don't get stressed out about it. Closed? I'll look for another place.
In the poorer areas, there's ALWAYS somewhere where you can buy booze, food, meat, at any time of day.
All that BS about Sunday being a day of rest is simply antiquated, IMO.

Harsh.

One day a week when everyones together breaking bread might be antiquated but that doesn‘t mean it isn’t worthwhile.
Trying to get a whole family together for a meal which was easy to do in the past is now a logistical nightmare.

Peoples mental health and general well being improves when they don’t feel isolated and have a support system around them.
Sunday was the day that helped that happen.
We all used to have Sunday dinner with Mr SSOAP or my parents every weekend, now everyones too busy with the fabulous working open all hours ethic and the olds are mostly left to their own devices which is a shame.

Sunday lunch was the day of the week all the crumbly aged oldie rels who tbh are a pain in the arse were collected up well fed and got to see everyone. That is a sad loss.

Last edited:
One day a week when everyones together breaking bread might be antiquated but that doesn‘t mean it isn’t worthwhile.

I think, by now, we should have worked up to three days of leisure instead of the standard two-day weekend (seriously - how long has the 40-hour work week been standardized…75 years? We should be able to do better than that nowadays).

Instead of calling it a “day of rest,” though, I’d rather think of it as a “day of choice” to do what you want - be industrious, be lazy, sleep all day, visit family, whatever.

I agree on the “no Sunday work” laws, and as much as I love the holidays here, the one thing that makes me sick/a little depressed is the continual increase in the number of places open Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.

I get that some people need/want to work that extra day, but employees ought to be given a real choice, with no negative repercussions, to refuse to work certain days like that, IMO - then I wonder how many greedy companies would be able to staff a place on Christmas Day…and how many of those managers/owners are working that day?

We always so appreciated the “limited” UK shopping hours, because for one thing, it changed our mindset to one of, “If you’ve not gotten it by 5PM, you’re not getting it until tomorrow” and allowed us to sort of shut down that part of our brains that was always whispering, “Go get some spray paint and touch up the patio furniture! Who cares if it’s 9PM on a Tuesday?!” - it let us slow down and enjoy the moment more, instead of always running to do “the next thing.”

Harsh.

Not really harsh, because in a lot of Catholic countries, family is far closer than in Protestant countries. I don't know why that is, but it is.
When my in-laws were alive, we ALWAYS went there for Saturday, or Sunday lunch, regardless of whether the shops were open or not. We'd probably also be there during the week. My nephews, 36 and 41 , both married, still live at home. My Portuguese neighbour has built 3 extensions to his house to accommodate his sons and daughters - and his grocery store is open all day Sunday. When by BIL's father was still alive (Italian, from Rome), we'd get invited for lunch at his house, or for lunch at a local trattoria, almost every Sunday.
17 years old in the UK and desperate to leave home and find one's own place.... not here.

Aircon arriving has put pay to that in cities and large malls but outside of that particularly in Southern Spain everything still shuts in the afternoon apart from the large supermarkets in towns and restaurants, they stay open.
The smaller shops open and close when they feel like it. Essentially they will be open at some point before lunch (2pm) on the days they state they will open (but not always 😆) and may or may not return for a couple of hours at 5-7pm ish!
Often they have reduced hours on Saturday and shut for 2-3 days between Sunday and Tuesday.

Siesta time is the absolute best time to go, it’s so ingrained in them to not do chores at the hottest time of the day the supermarket is deserted. Go at 7pm and it’s bedlam!

They also have a million festivals where everything shuts, even taxi’s and public transport stop!

I spent about a month in Salamanca. They rolled up the sidewalks for two hours for siesta every day. :bookworm:

CD

Back
Top Bottom