Shepherds pie old fashioned

Last edited:
I've just gotten what I need, the rest of it. I will start making it tonight!! I'm going to use the Ninja Foodi to do it. I'm going to use ground lamb this time. I will post pics of the progress.

Very nice!!!
I have some ground lamb in the freezer. I've yet to make shepherd's pie with lamb. I've always made it with ground beef, but the next time that I do, I'll try it with lamb. I've had it with lamb before, & it tastes very good!!!! :whistling:

What you have made is "cottage pie." Shepherd's pie is made with lamb, hence the name "shepherd," people who herd sheep.

CD

What you have made is "cottage pie." Shepherd's pie is made with lamb, hence the name "shepherd," people who herd sheep.

CD
This IS made with lamb. Cottage pie is the one that's made with ground beef, so I've been told.. :whistling:

I don't know anything about shepherd's pie, it sounds good. I could imagine many variations with it, like baked in a shortcrust, sprinkled with different kinds of cheese, various vegetables (i.e. eggplant, zucchini, potatoes, carrots, celeriac) and sauces. Is lamb the only ingredient that makes a shepherd's pie a shepherd's pie or are there more? Stay healthy

I don't know anything about shepherd's pie, it sounds good. I could imagine many variations with it, like baked in a shortcrust, sprinkled with different kinds of cheese, various vegetables (i.e. eggplant, zucchini, potatoes, carrots, celeriac) and sauces. Is lamb the only ingredient that makes a shepherd's pie a shepherd's pie or are there more? Stay healthy

I'll let a Brit answer your questions. I can only say that both Shepherd's Pie and Cottage Pie are seriously good comfort food. I had Shepherd's Pie for the first time at a pub in London. I scarfed it down like I hadn't eaten in days.

Now I'm salivating.

CD

I made too much of the filling, so I'm going to freeze some of it & use it the next time that I want some. Won't have to make any!! :whistling:

Shepherd's pie is a very simple dish - its just minced lamb (or finely chopped leftover lamb from a cooked joint) in a gravy with mashed potato on top. Diced carrots are often added to the minced lamb. Pie is a rather confusing term for it as it contains no pastry.

The lamb and gravy is cooked first and allowed to cool. Then mashed potatoes are put on top and the whole thing baked in the oven. Here is a simple recipe: No-fuss shepherd's pie recipe - BBC Good Food

1612608560051.png

Without wishing to be too pedantic or purist, if you replace the potato with pastry or add too many other vegetables then it ceases to be a Shepherd's Pie.

Shepherd's pie is a very simple dish - its just minced lamb (or finely chopped leftover lamb from a cooked joint) in a gravy with mashed potato on top. Diced carrots are often added to the minced lamb. Pie is a rather confusing term for it as it contains no pastry.

The lamb and gravy is cooked first and allowed to cool. Then mashed potatoes are put on top and the whole thing baked in the oven. Here is a simple recipe: No-fuss shepherd's pie recipe - BBC Good Food

View attachment 56729

Without wishing to be too pedantic or purist, if you replace the potato with pastry or add too many other vegetables then it ceases to be a Shepherd's Pie.

Yes, um, what she said. :hungry:

CD

It depends on where you live. I'd wager that 99 times out of 100, when you see "Shepherd's Pie" on a menu in the US, it's beef, owing mainly to the US as a whole eating very little lamb. So when we started making the dish here, we just kept the name and used beef instead of lamb. I don't know why we didn't just call it "Cottage Pie" and save everyone the trouble.

There's a pub near my brother's, owned by a British couple, and he used to have cottage pie, listed as "Cottage Pie," on the menu, but even with a short description, he got tired of explaining the difference between the two, or having discussions with customers saying things like, "...so it's Shepherd's pie...," so he now calls it Shepherd's pie on his menu, although it's technically cottage pie. You know the old saying about "When in Rome..." - I suppose that applies here.

I have a similar story of another British couple, another restaurant, and their having to constantly explain that when their menu says "pickle," it means "Branston pickle," not a dill pickle. :)

I've made other layered dishes like that, including one I dubbed "German Shepherd's Pie," with bratwurst and sauerkraut and potatoes, among other things. The name is a play on words, because of the German ingredients and because what people over there refer to as an Alsatian (dog), we call a German Shepherd. :)

Back
Top Bottom