Show me your breakfast (2024)

I've never heard of midgen berries, they have a cool textured color. Are they similar in flavor to blueberries?
No, well not to me they don't. They're uniquely Australian. I'd not heard of them either, but i planted 2 bushes in my veg plot a few years back and have had s good harvest off them this year.

It's very hard for me to describe their flavour. The description of their taste online says blueberry but I can't taste that. I can taste the eucalyptus taste, along with the ginger and nutmeg.

Source : Midgen Berries.
Midgen berries have a dense crunchy flesh and contain three to nine pale brown, edible seeds and. Their overall flavor and aroma is quite mild, with sweet blueberry notes and mild hints of ginger, eucalyptus and nutmeg.

Apparently they grow in central Florida and Southern California as well.

Back in the veg plot thread, I posted a picture and the label of them a few weeks back.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/whats-going-on-in-your-garden-2024.27854/page-5#post-384493

No, well not to me they don't. They're uniquely Australian. I'd not heard of them either, but i planted 2 bushes in my veg plot a few years back and have had s good harvest off them this year.

It's very hard for me to describe their flavour. The description of their taste online says blueberry but I can't taste that. I can taste the eucalyptus taste, along with the ginger and nutmeg.

Source : Midgen Berries.

Apparently they grow in central Florida and Southern California as well.

Back in the veg plot thread, I posted a picture and the label of them a few weeks back.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/whats-going-on-in-your-garden-2024.27854/page-5#post-384493
Yeah I was just guessing about the flavor. I grew up in NW Florida on the coast and had never encountered a midgen berry. They're similar in shape to blueberries...I am not sure I'd appreciate the eucalyptus taste nor ginger and nutmeg.

Sunday Brunch

IMG_3824.JPG

British-style Banger, an English Muffin (sorta like a crumpet else where) loaded down with Butter and local Honey and a basted Egg. I've recently learned that I need to up my protein intake. I've been averaging about 60g per day (as suggested when I was released from the hospital) and I need to increase it to 107g :eek: AND try it keep the caloric intake to 1200 kcal/day.

I've recently learned that I need to up my protein intake. I've been averaging about 60g per day (as suggested when I was released from the hospital) and I need to increase it to 107g :eek: AND try it keep the caloric intake to 1200 kcal/day.
I've taken to drinking a protein shake which adds 30g of protein when made with water (more if I use soy milk) and only 185kcal (more with soy milk) though I'll confess that it took a long time to find one I actually liked.

SatNavSaysStraightOn I've added a protein Shake to my diet and it tastes wonderful, also 30g of protein and only 150kcal - milk based.
View attachment 112055
Good, I'm glad to hear that.

Sadly not an option for me though. I find many are just too sweet or based on banana or tropical fruit flavour, neither of which I like. I have found an Australian plant based one which isn't too bad in the vanilla flavour.

Sunday Brunch

View attachment 112051
British-style Banger, an English Muffin (sorta like a crumpet else where) loaded down with Butter and local Honey and a basted Egg. I've recently learned that I need to up my protein intake. I've been averaging about 60g per day (as suggested when I was released from the hospital) and I need to increase it to 107g :eek: AND try it keep the caloric intake to 1200 kcal/day.
Get some Greek yogurt and top it with nuts! Greek yogurt has about 16g of protein.

JAS_OH1 too much carbs for me, and I'm not a fan of Greek Yogurt.
I did find this at our local Kroger's/Fry's
View attachment 112058
9g of protein - 70kcal - 5g Carbs
I can't say that I'm going Keto, but really watching the carbs, sugar, calories and alcohol intake - but gotta up the protein
Didn't realize Greek yogurt was high in carbs, sorry.

Yeah I've been doing the plain lately with fruit and a drizzle of honey.
Brekkie is usually Granola with yoghurt and berries.

We always make our own now because it is so much cheaper. 2L of soy yoghurt only costs the price of 2L of soy milk (though we use a decent one made from soy beans rather than soy powder). There's no added sugar at all, not even to start the culture going. It doesn't need it. If I want thicker, strained yoghurt, I just spoon it into a sieve and leave it overnight. It's quite surprising how much liquid comes out.

We eat yoghurt everyday with breakfast and use it in food quite a bit, so it's easier and cheaper to make our own. 2L costs about US$5-6, if that (AU$9). I buy the culture once every 2 years I think, which costs US$15. It is frozen and used from frozen, so no prep work needed. Just scald the inside of the yoghurt container and lid, add the milk and culture, add warm water between the container and pot, add another lid and turn on and leave for 24-48hrs. Done.

Back
Top Bottom