Siding The Pots

Do you side the pots first, then sit down

• Let the meal settle first, then side the pots.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Side the pots, then sit down.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
8:22 AM
Who else here clears the table(Siding the pots) as soon as its clear that all have finished eating?

Do you wait and let it settle or do you clear the table, then let the meal settle

Pardon me for not understanding this thread very well. But if you mean cleaning up the table, our housemaid does that when everyone had finished. Sometimes it takes time for us to finish dessert particularly when we have fruits. Dessert time is also the conversation time so expect us to linger in the table. The housemaid has to wait before everyone leaves the dining table before she can clear it up. And after washing the dishes, that's the only time she can keep the leftover food in the fridge.

We wait for everyone to finish eating before we clean the table. In my case the cleaning will happen later or the next morning as I am pretty sure I am already tired even before I reach the kitchen sink. I love entertaining at home and if friends who came over are feeling a bit helpful, I allow them to clean the dishes for me.

I've never heard the expression 'siding the pots'! What a curious way of putting it. And I'm not sure what is meant by 'letting the meal settle'. Settle where? Its already in your tummy! The only time I've ever felt the need to sit down after eating has been after Xmas dinner, in which case I'm too full to move!

I suppose if its a dinner party then one wouldn't whip the plates away immediately. That would be rude! But I'm not sure anyone around here lets their dinner 'settle'... they just eat it and then carry on with whatever else they are doing. That's why all the plates, bowls and mugs end up in their rooms or in the cellar (son plays computer games in cellar). If its just me and partner I always clear up straight away, after all, it only takes a few seconds to bung the plates in the dishwasher!

In my home we wait for everyone to finish their meal before cleaning the table, it just makes sense plus my father thinks it's rude for someone to take your plate away after you eat, especially in restaurants. He's simple like that. We clear the table after we eat because we also clean the dishes together and eat the dessert together and such. No one leaves the table until it's all spotless.

Sadly, we don't eat as a family much, so there really is no siding of the pots so to speak. We eat on the move quite a bit and ' the pots" move with us individually. With guest I clear the table when the guest have cleared their plates and then sit and chat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom