Recipe Simple Chicken and Vegetable Stew

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:47 AM
This is a dish for using up leftover roast chicken, so its basically a vegetable stew with the already cooked chicken added at the end. If you wanted a vegetarian version, substitute tinned beans of your choice for the chicken (I would use butter beans). As always, my challenge when making a vegetable based stew is to try to extract as much flavour as possible and not to have to resort to using stock cubes. So, in this case I used cardamom seeds and black peppercorns to enhance the flavour. Using butter to cook the leeks adds a sweetness but you could substitute vegetable oil. Serve with some crusty bread.

IMGP1808.jpg

Ingredients (serves 2)
1 large leek, cut into rings
1 very large carrot, cut into small chunks
1/3 of a celeriac root, cut into small chunks
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
8 chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 breast and 1 leg of roasted chicken (cut into pieces)
1 tsp cardamon seeds (minus their pods)
1 tsp black peppercorns
25g of butter (or substitute vegetable oil)
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves to sprinkle

Method
  • Melt the butter in a large pan over a low heat and add the leeks. Allow them to soften but not brown.
  • Grind the cardamom and black pepper together with a pestle and mortar.
  • Add the carrot and celeriac pieces, garlic, thyme and the ground pepper and cardamom to the pan. Stir everything together and add water to just cover. Add salt to taste.
  • Simmer for 20 minutes then add the mushrooms. Add more water if necessary. Simmer for another 15 minutes then add the cooked chicken (minus the skin) to heat through. Check the seasoning.
  • Serve with fresh coriander sprinkled over.
IMGP1806.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you won't be disappointed. Its a thin broth. Good for soaking up with bread. This isn't a thick stew... its a good lunch dish.

Back
Top Bottom