Recipe simple cornbread

Discussion in 'Baking, Bread Making and Cakes' started by Wandering Bob, Jul 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wandering Bob

Wandering Bob Member

Melt then cool 55g of butter (leave on one side for 25 mins or so)

Put in a mixing bowl and mix together:

125g of plain flour
    125g of instant polenta (either the 2/3 mins or 5 mins cooking variety)
    25g of sugar
    1 11g sachet of baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt

In another bowl, beat together:

2 large eggs with 250ml of full-fat milk and the melted butter

Pre-heat the oven to 200C

Grease with margarine a 25cm across square deep metal oven tray

Add the egg mixture into the contents of the mixing bowl and stir the batter until it's evenly moistened. Pour it into the greased tray and spread level.

Put the tray into the oven and bake until the cornbread is browned. It should spring back when lightly pressed in the centre, and has begun to pull away from the pan sides – from 20 to 25 minutes.

Leave it to cool for 15/20 mins in the tray before removing it.

2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

The last time I attempted cornbread it turned out as a rather unpleasant solid lump! I still have leftover polenta so maybe I'll try this method. I seem to recall when researching the subject that polenta is not the same as the flour made from corn which is used traditionally - but I'm unsure what the difference is...

3. Wandering Bob

Wandering Bob Member

4. Wandering Bob

Wandering Bob Member

Polenta is also known as semoule de mais in France - it's widely used here but I reckon I might be the first in France to make cornbread with it

5. Wandering Bob

Wandering Bob Member

6. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Looks a whole lot better than the one I made! :laugh:

7. medtran49

medtran49 Senior Member

If I'm making it just to eat, I put a little sugar in it and just a touch of vanilla extract. I also usually add some thawed frozen corn kernels and sliced jalapenos in Craig's half.

If it's going to be used in something else like stuffing/dressing, then it stays plain.

I've made polenta with cornmeal many times. Don't think there is much of a difference. I'll never forget a comment made by one of the restaurateur judges on Chopped, something along the lines of the only difference between cornmeal mush and polenta is about $15.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    morning glory likes this.