Slow cooker tips

Local time
3:34 AM
Website
www.helium.com
I've recently bought a slow cooker, so I found this article very helpful. I think the most important thing to take note of is the liquid and thickening. For the first few times, I was guilty of using too much liquid, and although I tossed the meat in seasoned flour, I didn't use enough to get the consistency I wanted, so I still had to thicken with cornflour. The slow cooker conversion times are also useful in adapting conventional recipes.

Do any of these tips particularly resonate with you?

I tended to wing it lots with the slow cooker and if I end up with too much thin liquid then a quick boil in a saucepan with cornflour usually sorts any gravy type stuff out

I found this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Sl...8951/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1233738554&sr=8-1 and I went to heaven.

Although I use the recipes I do tend to make it "properly" the first time & then sort of adapt it here & there. The Kashmirii Butter chcken is lovely so is the hotch potch, I adapted that to a cheaper version using a Ham Hock instead of lamb and the kids & hubby love it in there "pots" for lunch at school/work.

I was quite surprised at the desserts you can do in a slow cooker too!

Yes! Too much liquid was my mistake! I thought I'd read that you needed to completely cover the ingredients with stock so always ended up with disappointing watery stew.

Since then I've become a lot better at using my slow cooker! It's a godsend being able to have dinner ready by the time I get home, especially during the winter.

Yes! Too much liquid was my mistake! I thought I'd read that you needed to completely cover the ingredients with stock so always ended up with disappointing watery stew.

Since then I've become a lot better at using my slow cooker! It's a godsend being able to have dinner ready by the time I get home, especially during the winter.
Blimey - this is a very old thread you replied to. I'd never even seen it before as it was posted before I joined.

Sorry didn't realise it would be an issue. Happened today be getting my slow cooker out of summer storage and saw this thread.

Sorry didn't realise it would be an issue. Happened today be getting my slow cooker out of summer storage and saw this thread.

Its not really an issue. Just that often members won't see your post if its tagged on the end of a very old thread. Its usually best to start a new thread. Neither of the folk who posted in this thread have been seen on the forum for several years. To see when someone last visited the forum just click on their icon/picture and you see this:

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 16.55.52.png

I've recently bought a slow cooker, so I found this article very helpful. I think the most important thing to take note of is the liquid and thickening. For the first few times, I was guilty of using too much liquid, and although I tossed the meat in seasoned flour, I didn't use enough to get the consistency I wanted, so I still had to thicken with cornflour. The slow cooker conversion times are also useful in adapting conventional recipes.

Do any of these tips particularly resonate with you?

Looks so nice!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom