Recipe Smoky Lentil Dip

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
7:06 PM
Ingredients:
100 gms brown lentils (but you could probably use any)
1 small onion, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 stick celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsps soy sauce
2 tsps smoked paprika
1/2 tsp hot pepper or hot pepper sauce
1 tbsp liquid smoke
S & P to taste
Olive oil
Water

Method:
  • Gently fry the onion, carrot and celery in a tbsp or two of oil.
  • When soft, add the minced garlic and stir for 2-3 minutes.
  • Now add the lentils,the Worcestershire sauce, the soy sauce, the paprika, the hot pepper and the liquid smoke. Mix together with the other ingredients and cover in water. Add salt and pepper.
  • Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to medium. Cook until the lentils are soft, adding more (hot)
    Lentil Dip 1.jpg
    Lentil dip 2.jpg
    water if necessary. Try to leave the lentils as "dry" as possible.
  • Taste and check on seasoning. More salt, perhaps, or a little more liquid smoke? It's up to you.
  • Process the lentil mixture in a food processor until yu have a thick paste. Add olive oil to your taste.
  • Serve with flatbreads, on crackers, etc. Freezes well!

We have to do something about that color :D. If you got the spare money, you could dye it with squid ink or just use red lentils
All the other used ingredients are very good and I'm thinking about doing something similar the next few days

I have never in my life used liquid smoke. I should look into it. It is difficult to smoke some things, lentils included. Thanks for an interesting recipe. Sounds great.

I have never in my life used liquid smoke. I should look into it. It is difficult to smoke some things, lentils included. Thanks for an interesting recipe. Sounds great.
I went through a phase of using it but somehow the taste/aroma began to be a bit too direct. I then bought a 'smoking machine' which I do use sometimes.

I went through a phase of using it but somehow the taste/aroma began to be a bit too direct. I then bought a 'smoking machine' which I do use sometimes.
I have a smoker and have smoked meat and veggies in it. The smoker also cooks what is inside so it wouldn't work for a sauce. I've never heard of a smoking machine but i will search and learn.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You are absolutely spot on there!!

The color looks okay to me. It looks like frijoles refritas (AKA refried beens). I was actually thinking about making frijoles refritas using lentils, but that's probably too close to what you made. I was going to plate them up with some tamales with chili sauce.

CD

I rarely use Liquid Smoke, but I do have it on hand. Like you said, some things are very hard to smoke on a smoker.

CD

The color looks okay to me. It looks like frijoles refritas (AKA refried beens). I was actually thinking about making frijoles refritas using lentils, but that's probably too close to what you made. I was going to plate them up with some tamales with chili sauc
Yeah-I thought about cooking it on the grill but, to be honest, it was too much of a pain in the ***! If I were doing something really special for clients, or whatever, I might cook them over charcoal.
Go make your frijoles/lentejas refritos. I'm interested.

I have never in my life used liquid smoke. I should look into it.
In Latin America, EVERYONE, I mean EVERYONE has a BBQ/Grill/whatever. so there's no need for liquid smoke.
Having said that, BBQs are when you invite a few friends, have a few rums, have a good time, etc., but when there's only two of you, meeeh, too much of a faff. THAT is when liquid smoke is really useful. Splash a bit on your meat, or chicken - great.

In Latin America, EVERYONE, I mean EVERYONE has a BBQ/Grill/whatever. so there's no need for liquid smoke.
Having said that, BBQs are when you invite a few friends, have a few rums, have a good time, etc., but when there's only two of you, meeeh, too much of a faff. THAT is when liquid smoke is really useful. Splash a bit on your meat, or chicken - great.
I'll try it.

Back
Top Bottom