Sneaking Veggies into other Foods

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
8:10 PM
I've heard of sneaking pureed vegetables into desserts and stuff like that, but how do you sneak more vegetables into other types of food? Do you have any tips or tricks? I have a child that really dislikes vegetables, and I'd really be happy if I could sneak some more into her diet by way of regular meals not desserts.

when my boys were younger i would chop up parsnip,carrot,leeks,even sprous very,very fine and add it to meals like shepards pie mince always got the veg into them that way

I never liked the idea of sneaking veggies into food, but I do understand that it is more of an issue for some people. I do tend to add a lot of chopped up veggies whenever I make a pasta sauce, especially if I'm using a jar of sauce instead of making it from scratch, I'll cut up carrots, brocolli, celery, whatever I have in the fridge really, and add it to the sauce. My kids always seem to like it.

I agree. I don't like the idea of sneaking things either. It gives them the idea that the desserts (or anything else) they would eat outside the home are of a similar value because they're unaware of what truly has gone into it. The easiest way to get them more interested in eating different things is to get them involved in the creation process. Of course they're going to want to try food they helped create. It's just human nature.

I don't mind the idea of sneaking vegetables into things. Whether they know it is vegetable or not, the food will certainly taste lighter and digest easier. If they become used to your cooking in this way, then eat meals outside the house, they will certainly notice the difference - they may think the other meal tastes great, but they'll also notice it is heavier and header to digest. This will get them used to vegetables and have them realize they actually like veggies after all.

I know this can be true because this is how I trained my husband of 10 years! He never ate a vegetable once until he met me, now he will notice when he goes a few days without them and will say he needs a good bowl of spinach or broccoli.

Anyways, I don't think it matters how you eat them, as long as you are eating them.

Canned pumpkin is pretty easy one to sneak into things. You can put a big spoonful (or more) into a stew or soup and it really isn't that noticeable if you have a lo of other strong flavors in it.

Back
Top Bottom