Soft food for sore mouths, throats etc.

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
8:14 PM
I've got a strange throat infection that is making swallowing difficult. Two weeks ago I had something similar. All I'm eating is soup and vegan yoghurt with honey and mashed banana.

I'm missing out on all the Christmas treats. :cry:.

So, what else is easy to make and easy to swallow? My mind is blank.

Mashed potatoes and gravy.
Cottage cheese.
I like buttered broad egg noodles mixed with cottage cheese.
Souffles.
Wonton soup.
Ramen Noodles
I mix ramen noodles into wonton soup
French toast or pancakes.

For treats, don't take fudge to the hard state, let it stay soft so it will melt in your mouth.

Long ago, when I was a kid, I used to get this magazine made for kids. It had a Christmas treat called Daisy's (as in Daisy Duck) divinity. It used cream cheese, confectioner's/icing sugar, vanilla and very finely chopped pecans. It was melt in your mouth pretty much and the pecans are so finely chopped and then coated with the melting cream cheese mix that they'll slide right down. It is obviously not a true divinity, but easy for kids to make and very sweet. I'll find the recipe if you are interested as I took a quick look on the web and couldn't find it.

Eggnog custard mix frozen into ice cream.

Work-a-holic's hot chocolate. It's listed as a Paula Deen recipe, but it's really not. I first saw it on 1 of her shows when she still had them on Food Network. It is actually a recipe by a chocolatier who was a guest on that show. It's basically a rich but thin egg custard with chocolate melted into it.

Scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, corn bread. cold cereal soaked in cold milk.
my mouth was hurting on the right side, now it's on the left. I'm missing some jaw teeth on the left side & my gums are exposed, making them hurt if I chew something hard on that side. :o_o:

Last edited:
Oh. Thank you. French toast is an excellent idea as I have the ingredients in. The daisys divinity look nice. I've looked up the recipe and are easy so will make them when I get some (dairy free) cream cheese.

Love wonton soup and ramen too.

Mashed potatoes! Another excellent idea. With olive oil and roasted garlic. Yummy.

Oh. Thank you. French toast is an excellent idea as I have the ingredients in. The daisys divinity look nice. I've looked up the recipe and are easy so will make them when I get some (dairy free) cream cheese.

Love wonton soup and ramen too.

Mashed potatoes! Another excellent idea. With olive oil and roasted garlic. Yummy.

Also bread pudding. :wink:

Grits, pudding, couscous, sweet potatos, apple sauce

I hope your throat is getting better by now @Herbie. One of my favourite soft invalid foods is 'eggy in a cup'. I used to make it for my kids when they were poorly. Simply this:
  1. Butter a slice of soft white bread and cut into small cubes.
  2. Soft boil an egg.
  3. Scald a large teacup or small mug with boiling water.
  4. Scoop out the egg and add the bread to the teacup/mug . Mix well, adding white pepper and salt to taste.
  5. Eat using a teaspoon.

Unfortunately I'm still not better. The sweet potato and eggy in a cup ideas sound good. I had some french toast yesterday which was lovely.

Love French toast. Especially made with cinnamon raisin bread.

A bowl of oatmeal (with cling peaches, a little milk and sprinkle of cinnamon) on a cold morning, makes me feel good

Frrrrrozen hot chocolate. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to a bowl of hot chocolate. Top with whipped cream and chocolate curls. Serve with a straw and a long spoon.

Risotto or orzotto (orzo with peas).

Feel better.

There's a restaurant in New York called Serendipity. I think they put the frrrrozen hot chocolate on the map.

My pleasure. Feel better and happy holidays.

Steamed Sweet Potatoes are also pretty good. They get a delicately sweet flavor and become creamy. Would highly recommend.

When I have sore throat runny nose colds, I like to get a hot bowl of hot peppery Udon. It always helps to sweat out the problem.

Back
Top Bottom