Solar Eclipse in North America

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
7:01 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
My family and I will be traveling to Luna Pier, Michigan on Monday. It's not that far from our house, but Luna Pier is a prime viewing location for the upcoming solar eclipse. My friends in Michigan and Ohio on this board are not far from a good viewing spot, too, but I'm not sure about the rest (I see that it passes through Texas, but Texas is a huge state). Anyone else with a chance to get a good (safely protected) look at the eclipse?

Here's information from NASA that shows where and when to view it, as well as other interesting facts:

Where & When

By the way, "Luna Pier" was not named for being a prime viewing area for lunar eclipses. It was named after an amusement park on Coney Island, New York.

We’re just outside the totality band, by mere minutes. MrsT says she’s going to brave the crowds and drive 30 minutes to be smack in the middle of it, but I’ll believe that when it happens.

I’m planning on leveraging technology and watching it on the NASA livestream on YT, from the comfort of my living room. I’m fairly uninterested in the whole thing.

I’m a little irritated in that I just found out my entire cadre of coworkers have all independently taken the day off, leaving me as the sole person working Monday…which is supposed to be strictly against staffing policy, yet every time it happens, I seem to be the one left working. 😒

I just checked that NASA map - it’ll be 99.6% covered when passing over my house, and I’m a mere 11 miles from totality, but it’s also predicted we’ll have extensive cloud coverage on Monday.
Yeah, we've got an expected 500,000 people traveling to NE OH to see it. This time of year it's usually cloudy, snowing, or raining up here. They're calling for a mix of clouds and sun right now for Monday. We'll see (or not).

We are in path of totality, 3min 51.4s
All kinds of news stories up here warning: get gas, stock up on food, have cash as ATMs will run out due to number of anticipated travelers/visitors to the area. Also, one report says that a normal 1 hour trip from to Cleveland via I-90 is likely to take 12 hours??? Although the warnings remind me of Y2K, I did follow the advice. For those traveling to the area, all the hype has made for extremely high hotel rates, Rooms that normally sell for $150-$200 at name brand hotels are going for for $4-500.

As for day of, I will be working from home and will walk out on the patio to view. I am not that excited about it as many others are, it will be dark for 3+minutes in the afternoon.. shrug…

They keep changing Monday's weather forecast. It's now looking pretty good for eclipse viewing. Of course that can change in 24 hours, soooo....
20240407_141004.jpg

The umbraphiles in NE Ohio might be a bit disappointed today. It was raining when I got up.

The umbraphiles in NE Ohio might be a bit disappointed today. It was raining when I got up.
Our predicted cloud cover went from 91% to 66%, not that I care much. I’ll likely be out mowing the grass when it passes over!

Back
Top Bottom