Southern Challenge for Morning Glory

@Cinisajoy

Interesting post ..

Divinity is a Nougat, however, the ingredients in Spanish and Italian Nougat are very different and steeped in antiguity from the 800´s. Alicante, Spain is one of the world´s largest producers of Nougat, called " Turrón " in Spanish .. It dates back to the 800´s and was brought to Alicante and Sicily by the Moorish Tribes (The Syrians, The Pakistaní, The Iraquí, The Irani, The Turks and The Egyptians who travelled from the Eastern Mediterranean to the Western ). Due to the fact that the Moghul Kings of Pakistan, created a non-alcoholic law, they created sweets from fruits & spices & herbs & nuts & dried fruits, such as sherberts, sorbets, icecreams, marzipan, almond nougats and almond pastries of amazing varieties. Syria is one of the world´s largest producers of almond flour used in French Macarons.

The few dishes from the Southern Usa, that I have had the chance to taste were when I was in Atlanta for a Tourism & Travel Convention and Orlando.

In Atlanta, I recall a Shrimp Gumbo, Bourbon Apple Cider, and a Lane Cake which is a traditional southern three layer cake filled with bourbon, pecans, cherries and orange and was named for the Creator, Emme Rylander- Lane in Clayton, Alabama .. I rarely eat sweets, as I do not have a sweet tooth, as we say .. However, the fork bite I had of this stunning looking tart, was exceptional.

There were a couple of other things as well, off top of think cap: Crab cakes with herbed mayonnaise, the pecan pie and most memorable for me were "the collard greens" ..

My parents had told me, " You were the only kid we have ever come across that loves Spinach " .. It is probably true ! And collards, though the profile is quite different in taste, were heaven on earth in Atlanta ..

There is an American Market in Barcelona and also in The Madrid Capital, called: Taste of America. They carry alot of spices used in varying regional American Cuisines, peanut butter, Paul Newman´s Salad dressings and tomato sauces etcetra ..

Sounds like a lot of fun.
Have a nice day ..

Last edited:
I'm not sure why this is my challenge. I'm sure it is lovely if you have a sweet tooth - but no-one here does, I fear. I've already chucked half a cherry clafoutis in the bin. I don't like to do that but what else?

I'm not sure why this is my challenge. I'm sure it is lovely if you have a sweet tooth - but no-one here does, I fear. I've already chucked half a cherry clafoutis in the bin. I don't like to do that but what else?
You said you wanted a challenging Southern dish. Divinity is a challenge even to southerners. Unless everything is just right one winds up with spoon candy not divinity.
I can't even make it right now or it would be spoon candy. A dry clear day is required.

Back
Top Bottom