Sports related chatter

caseydog

Local time
7:02 PM
There's an Aussie spinner called Adam Zampa who's a Vegan, and I wonder how on earth he manages to keep fit, well/nourished and full of energy when he's on international duties. Takes great discipline and presence of mind.

I had to look up "spinner." I got some "adult entertainment" related references. :eek: So I looked up Adam Zampa. Cricket. No wonder I had no idea what "spinner" was. Still not sure. Is that a kind of "bowler?" American bowlers put spin on the ball, but it's a 16-pound ball. So confusing.

CD

I had to look up "spinner." I got some "adult entertainment" related references. :eek: So I looked up Adam Zampa. Cricket. No wonder I had no idea what "spinner" was.
Hahahaha!
I could drive you nuts with cricket stories; I played it for 30 years...
Whoever invented the game obviously made it as complicated as possible, so that no-one else could understand it, and therefore, never be defeated.
Bit like American "Football".

Cricket and baseball evolved from the same roots; a game called Cats & Dogs.
In baseball, you have a pitcher, who hurls the ball at the batter at high speed. The ball, however, flies through the air.
In cricket, the bowler (pitcher) does the same, except the ball hits the ground before the batter can hit it.
The difference is that you have "Fast" bowlers (80-95mph), "Medium pace" bowlers (75 - 85 mph), and "Spinners" (50-60 mph).
The spinner manipulates the ball so that, when the ball hits the ground, it will spin to the left, or right, or straight up. Spinners rely on guile, flight, and disguising the delivery, in order to confuse the batter.
Get a load of this guy (an Ozzie) who was probably one of the best in history:

Cricket and baseball evolved from the same roots; a game called Cats & Dogs.
In baseball, you have a pitcher, who hurls the ball at the batter at high speed. The ball, however, flies through the air.
In cricket, the bowler (pitcher) does the same, except the ball hits the ground before the batter can hit it.
The difference is that you have "Fast" bowlers (80-95mph), "Medium pace" bowlers (75 - 85 mph), and "Spinners" (50-60 mph).
The spinner manipulates the ball so that, when the ball hits the ground, it will spin to the left, or right, or straight up. Spinners rely on guile, flight, and disguising the delivery, in order to confuse the batter.
Get a load of this guy (an Ozzie) who was probably one of the best in history:

In baseball we have "fast balls," which are generally 95MPH and up, with the best pitchers easily throwing over 100MPH. Then you have "finesse" pitches, like curveballs, sliders, and sinkers. They are not as fast, but change course between the pitcher and the batter.

I've mentioned Nolan Ryan as a Texas rancher who raises cattle that are grass fed from day one until they day they are slaughtered. His beef is the premium brand for Kroger in Texas.

But, before he became a rancher, he was an MLB pitcher. He's a baseball legend. 5,714 strikeouts, seven no hitters, and a 108MPH fastball.

Here is a link to a trailer for a documentary about him.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_FqbWt8exE

CD

I had to look up "spinner." I got some "adult entertainment" related references. :eek: So I looked up Adam Zampa. Cricket. No wonder I had no idea what "spinner" was. Still not sure. Is that a kind of "bowler?" American bowlers put spin on the ball, but it's a 16-pound ball. So confusing.

CD

It's where you hide the way the ball is placed in your hand. Usually along the seam. Shane warne was the best at it. He bowled a flipper spin bowl.
I practiced for months, but never had the skill as a kid.

Russ

But, before he became a rancher, he was an MLB pitcher
Remember watching him, years ago. He's a very tall bloke, isn't he? Must have been scary facing him.
The same variants occur in cricket with "fast" bowling. You can swing it in, or away, make it "cut" off the pitch (ie. hits the ground then deviates to the left or right), bowl it short (a bouncer) so it bounces up around the batters head, or bowl a yorker, which homes in to the base of the stumps and needs to be "dug out".
These days, cricketers wear adequate protection. Back in the 70s, you were expected to suck it up, which was fun when facing Michael Holding, "Whispering Death"...

Back
Top Bottom