The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
7:36 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
1c91ec79-db9a-46a6-a0e8-485527ee7b05-jpeg.jpg

I don't think I've ever looked at a squash and thought to myself - no matter how hungry I was - "That whole thing is going to be in my belly soon." But, that's what happened. As I scooped the seeds out, it occurred to me that it would be a shame to just throw them away. So, an idea was born.

I'm a little disappointed that the "fries" didn't crisp up quite like potato fries. But, lacking starch, this is what I can likely expect from trying to do with squash what I have done before with potato.

I was tempted to serve this with blueberry BBQ sauce, but it was all so tasty with the simple seasonings I used that I didn't need it.

Ingredients

1 butternut squash
1 teaspoon of canola oil (in a spray bottle)
salt
dried chili de arbol peppers, ground into a powder

Directions

1. Cut squash in half. Scoop out guts and seeds and set aside.

2. Use a heavy duty peeler to peel the skin from the squash. Cut far enough down that there are no green "veins" visible.

IMG_0018.JPG

3. If you have a French fry cutter, cut the squash to fit.

IMG_0019.JPG

4. Use French fry cutter to cut fries from the squash. Otherwise, use a knife to cut pieces to uniform size.

IMG_0020.JPG

5. Preheat Air Fryer if you have one. Spray squash pieces with oil and place in a single layer in Air Fryer basket. Follow manufacturer instructions to make fries. Otherwise, place squash pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping pieces over halfway through.

IMG_0021.JPG

6. While fries are cooking, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Separate seeds from squash guts. Spray seeds a few times with oil and toss to coat. Place on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and ground chili di arbol peppers (or other seasoning to your liking).

IMG_0022.JPG

7. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crispy and brown.

IMG_0023.JPG

8. Remove squash fries from Air Fryer or oven. Sprinkle with salt. Serve, and try not to eat the entire thing.

I like the fact you suggest using an Air Fryer - and another vegan recipe entered for the challenge. Have you got an Air Fryer section on your blog? I know I should go and check... add your blog link as a signature. That way we will all see it when you post here.

I like the fact you suggest using an Air Fryer - and another vegan recipe entered for the challenge. Have you got an Air Fryer section on your blog? I know I should go and check... add your blog link as a signature. That way we will all see it when you post here.
Until now, I didn't even think of creating a signature here (though I do recall some people having them). Thank you for the suggestion!

I think an Air Fryer section would be a great idea once I make a few more things with it. Thanks also for that suggestion! So far, I just have my Air Fried Egg, which I shared on this forum previously without a recipe. I haven't posted this one there because I wanted to make sure I had it here before the deadline.

Back
Top Bottom