Sriracha Sauce

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:40 AM
Mod.Edit - this post and the following post moved from another thread as its a new topic.

Second time for roasted Portobello mushroom salmon salad melts. Went a little heavy on the siracha sauce (Per "Mrs." Dads1950) but OK for me. (Siracha sauce not in recipe...my own personal preference addition.

I like Sriracha too - provided it doesn't have MSG. Unfortunately the leading brand here does...

Last edited:
I get mine from Ocado - which of course stocks Waitrose products as well. Unfortunately, the leading brand Flying Goose is the one preferred by my son and my partner but it has MSG. Its not that I can't eat MSG its just that I hate the taste - I can always tell if something contains it. Ocado/Waitrose sell a couple of others which are MSG free. I have bought this one before which doesn't contain it: Thai Taste sriracha sauce.

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 20.00.53.png

This is the Flying Goose:

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 19.58.05.png

I get mine from Ocado - which of course stocks Waitrose products as well. Unfortunately, the leading brand Flying Goose is the one preferred by my son and my partner but it has MSG. Its not that I can't eat MSG its just that I hate the taste - I can always tell if something contains it. Ocado/Waitrose sell a couple of others which are MSG free. I have bought this one before which doesn't contain it: Thai Taste sriracha sauce.

View attachment 9831

This is the Flying Goose:

View attachment 9829
I looked at the ingredients for them. One is nearly all water! Sainsbury's do the Huy Fong one which has the rooster on the container and is supposed to be the authentic one from California. That does not have MSG in it, if the ingredients list is correct. I might give that one a try.

I looked at the ingredients for them. One is nearly all water! Sainsbury's do the Huy Fong one which has the rooster on the container and is supposed to be the authentic one from California. That does not have MSG in it, if the ingredients list is correct. I might give that one a try.

I'll have to check that out. I have a Sainsbury's in walking distance.

Just for interest, this is the town of Sriracha from where the sauce gets its name:

Sri-Racha-1.jpg

Located on the west coast of East Thailand a few kilometres north of Laem Chabang port in Chon Buri province.

@Yorky

Yes, I had read the history last night before going to sleep .. Fascinating.

Have a lovely day..

Just for interest, this is the town of Sriracha from where the sauce gets its name:

Sri-Racha-1.jpg

Located on the west coast of East Thailand a few kilometres north of Laem Chabang port in Chon Buri province.
Funnily enough, it is the Thai sriracha sauces that seem to have the worst recommendations in the customer comments here, especially with regard to the amount of water in them. There is an interesting article here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce, particularly with regard to the US rooster sauce.

Funnily enough, it is the Thai sriracha sauces that seem to have the worst recommendations in the customer comments here, especially with regard to the amount of water in them. There is an interesting article here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce, particularly with regard to the US rooster sauce.

My wife is aware of Sriracha sauce but has never bought/used it. There are so many chili sauces on the market here and most Thais make their own anyway (my wife's mother makes it and sends it on the bus 900 km - in fact a parcel of it arrived yesterday).

My wife is aware of Sriracha sauce but has never bought/used it. There are so many chili sauces on the market here and most Thais make their own anyway (my wife's mother makes it and sends it on the bus 900 km - in fact a parcel of it arrived yesterday).
Reminds me of a sauce that my friend always used to order online. "Made to a secret recipe" - yeah right! There were loads of recipes on the internet for a similar sauce, and in any event with laws being as they are now they had to put the ingredients on the label. We were having a meal at home, and I put an unlabelled bottle of sauce on the table. He said it was lovely to have that sauce again as he hadn't been able to afford it lately, did I order it from ...... I replied no, I made it myself at a fraction of the cost. His face was a picture!

Having been to Thailand, I find it hard not to prepare one´s own .. These bottle versions that are made on foreign soil just are not the same quality. It is not hard to make if you have the right Thai Chili Peppers ..

However, one can substitute similar Chili Peppers ..

The historic récipe was prepared by a tiny farmer in a town of the same name as the sauce .. If they could do it without Food Processors and Stand Up Mixers, surely one can do it fairly easily .. It is not complicated ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

Tomorrow I shall take a photograph (or capture an image) of the "sauce" sent on the bus by and made by my mother-in-law (too late now; it's dark).

@Yorky

Super !!

Perhaps, you could provide a traditional Thai récipe with substitutes included need be ..

Thanks in advance !!!
Have a great wkend ..

In fact the parcel did not include a chili sauce as such but a "dry" chili paste (amongst other things). I shall ask my wife how she uses it.

dry chili paste s.jpg

I cannot imagine that it's anything but very, very hot.

In fact the parcel did not include a chili sauce as such but a "dry" chili paste (amongst other things). I shall ask my wife how she uses it.

I cannot imagine that it's anything but very, very hot.

As usual I have it wrong. It is called ชื่อวิทยาศาสตร์: Zanthozylum limonella Alston and it is not very hot. The plant is only grown in the north of Thailand (apparently) and is used as an additive for laarb. Looks like there will be a bloody lot of laarb on the menu in the near future.

makanwpondib.jpg

Back
Top Bottom